This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Nearly wild site just outside the Castle Howard estate
- A 20-minute drive from Flamingo Land; half an hour from historic York
- Set in the Howardian Hills; within walking distance of a shop and café
Settling on a spot to pitch up in is all a matter of taste. Into self-sustained bivouacking? A wilder site's in order. Want to be close to creature comforts? Perhaps a well-equipped park's better instead. Can't decide? Worry not – the setup at Castle Howard Wild Side Camping is pretty sure to keep both sides happy, as this peaceful spot is low on frills but close to one of North Yorkshire's grandest country estates.
A little bit rugged and a little bit regal, Castle Howard Wild Side Camping is a win-win solution for groups looking to strike the right balance between comfort and immersion in nature. Facilities have been kept to a minimum, leaving more space for splendid country vistas, but basics like portaloos and running water are available. Large families are welcome here, as are biker folk and polite pups.
Fancy a bit of outdoor cooking? Send someone out to the local farm shop (20 minutes) in search of supplies and light up a barbecue. A top-rated café is also on hand about a 10-minute walk away.
The site's a few minutes' walk from Castle Howard's Great Lake, a princely pond designed for pleasurable days of fishing (which, alongside waterside strolls, are very much on the cards here). For a proper festival experience, make tracks to this site for one of Castle Howard's high-season concert weekends.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
It was what it said on the tin, good field,excellent clean portoloos
Lovely little wild camp site that was perfect for a weekend escape.
Excellent service the toilets were clean and the view was amazing
Recommended. Toilets fine & water tap. Didn’t need much else.
Very good stay overnight to celebrate our first wedding anniversary
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Gas cylinders available
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Public transport nearby
Large (51-200 pitches)
- Coach stations
Malton Bus Station
— 4.5 miles
4.5 miles Eden Camp (N Yorks): Bus Stop — 5.6 miles
5.6 miles Stamford Bridge: The Square Coach Stop — 9.5 miles
- Train stations
Malton Rail Station
— 4.5 miles
4.5 miles York Rail Station — 14.0 miles
14.0 miles Poppleton Rail Station — 14.4 miles
- Ferry ports
Transporter Bridge South Side
— 34.0 miles
Durham Tees Valley Airport
— 33.9 miles
Families looking for kid-friendly jaunts in this part of the world may want to whisk their flock away to Flamingo Land Theme Park and Zoo (20 minutes' drive), a Yorkshire staple that's home to white-knuckle coasters and exotic animals (as well as gentler rides for the tiddlers). Other perks of the place include the monorail and cable car that help guests glide through the sky from ride to ride…
If all that kooky transport's got you in the mood for more wheels and whistles, make tracks for the National Railway Museum in York (30 minutes). This unparalleled collection of locos houses iconic trains like the Mallard and Flying Scotsman.
Hear that? It's the call of the sea, and it's telling you to visit Yorkshire's splendidly scenic east coast. Why? Because these beaches, coves and cliffs are some of the most varied and visit-worthy in all the British Isles, whether you opt for fish and chips on Filey promenade (45 minutes), wild walks along the Flamborough Headland Heritage Coast (an hour) or the hodgepodge streets and brightly-coloured cottages of Staithes (an hour).
- Kew at Castle Howard (0.5 miles)
- The Arboretum - Kew at Castle Howard (0.5 miles)
- Castle Howard (0.5 miles)
- Nunnington Hall (6.0 miles)
- Rievaulx Terrace (12.2 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
- Does Castle Howard Wild Side Camping have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Castle Howard Wild Side Camping dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Castle Howard Wild Side Camping? Families looking for kid-friendly jaunts in this part of the world may want to whisk their flock away to Flamingo Land Theme Park and Zoo (20 minutes' drive), a Yorkshire staple that's … Read more
When can I check in and check out of Castle Howard Wild Side Camping?
Camping and touring Arrive: Anytime – Anytime Depart by: Anytime