This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Wild and pet-friendly site in the South Downs with meadow views
- On the South Downs Way and less than 10 minutes’ drive to Storrington
- Barbecues and campfires permitted; deli meals organised for delivery
Secluded and spacious, Swipes Camping is a 16.5-acre smallholding aimed at walkers, cyclists and equestrians trotting their way along the South Downs Way – sometimes with furry friends in tow – as this pet-friendly park sits right on the 100-mile path.
If you’re up for taking on the long-distance hiking challenge but are concerned about the weight of your bags, worry no more: the site will transport them for you to the next day’s accommodation. Food's also simple to source – order breakfasts and lunches through Swipes Camping staff from the artisan village deli nearby or drive under 10 minutes to Storrington and swing by the supermarkets, pubs and takeaways. Barbecues and campfires are permitted on the grounds if you’ll be prepping your own meals.
Not got time to do the whole South Downs Way? Setting off on shorter rambles is also possible from this conveniently set west Sussex site 10 minutes on foot from the small village of Washington. The owners reckon the routes immediately surrounding the site are some of the best in the South Downs National Park, recommending strolls to Chanctonbury Ring (about five miles away) for a scenic viewing area that links up with the Iron Age hillfort and neolithic flint mine of Cissbury Ring on a circular route. The Washington Chalk Pits nearby are another option for a leisurely jaunt.
Back at the park, rest your legs while looking out at the pigs, chickens and horses on site or admire the green meadows and shrubbery all around. Facilities at this back to basics space include toilets and a freshwater tap.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Quiet campsite with lovely scenery. Very close to South downs …
Relaxed, spacious site, great location - just add another portaloo!
From the manager...
We're so happy you enjoyed your stay and totally agree that the portaloo was stinky despite regular cleans!
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Dog walk nearby
Public transport nearby
Small (11-25 pitches)
- Coach stations
— 5.9 miles
5.9 miles Aldsworth Avenue — 6.4 miles
6.4 miles Goring Church — 6.5 miles
- Train stations
Amberley Rail Station
— 5.5 miles
5.5 miles Pulborough Rail Station — 5.5 miles
5.5 miles Durrington-on-Sea Rail Station — 6.2 miles
- Ferry ports
Bosham Hoe Ferry Landing
— 20.7 miles
20.7 miles West Itchenor Ferry Landing — 20.8 miles
20.8 miles Newhaven Harbour Ferry Terminal — 22.2 miles
Shoreham Brighton City Airport
— 7.6 miles
7.6 miles London Gatwick Airport North Terminal — 20.3 miles
20.3 miles London Gatwick Airport South Terminal — 20.4 miles
Pls access The Swipes via Rowdell off the A283 as shown. Do not use satnav as it will try to take you via an impassable route.
Swipes Camping isn’t far from some of the most spectacular stretches of the South Downs, the deep bowl-like valley of the Devil’s Dyke among them 30 minutes’ drive away. For wildlife, drive 20 minutes to the 160-hectare RSPB Pulborough Brooks and attempt to spot species including peregrines, lapwings and nightingales as well as rare-breed cattle.
For cultural types, the historic town of Arundel on the banks of the Avon river 25 minutes by car is well worth visiting for the handsome Arundel Park Estate (try circling Swanbourne Lake for scenic water views as well) and restored 11th-century Arundel Castle.
Another manor can be seen on a trip to Petworth House (35 minutes), which has grounds to picnic in and displays a fine art collection belonging to the National Trust.
- Parham House & Gardens (3.4 miles)
- Arundel Castle and Gardens (6.9 miles)
- Fishers Adventure Farm Park (9.1 miles)
- Petworth House and Park (10.0 miles)
- Nymans (13.7 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
- Does The Swipes Camping have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is The Swipes Camping dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near The Swipes Camping? Swipes Camping isn’t far from some of the most spectacular stretches of the South Downs, the deep bowl-like valley of the Devil’s Dyke among them 30 minutes’ drive away. For wildlife, drive … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of The Swipes Camping?
Camping and touring Arrive: 12 p.m. – 8 p.m. Depart by: 12 p.m. On-site accommodation Arrive: 12 p.m. – 8 p.m. Depart by: 12 p.m.