This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
Situated halfway along a valley, our farm enjoys stunning views of true Hardy Country, where both sea and sun are close at hand thanks to Weymouth having more sunny days than anywhere else in the UK.
The Farm and Surroundings
We are the Bartlett family: Martin, Joby and children Henry, Annabel and Georgina and we work in partnership with Martin's parents Tom and Sheila, running a beef suckler herd, raising young dairy cattle for a neighbouring farmer, and growing a variety of crops.
East Shilvinghampton is situated halfway along the south side of a valley that stretches from Portesham and Upwey, and enjoys stunning, far-reaching views along the valley in either direction.
The tents are arranged in the pasture near the farmyard, with our animal paddock and its residents just a toddle away. The hedges here yield abundant fruit in the autumn, including sloes, which the successful forager can take home to prepare a fine gin for Christmas!
The farm larder is well stocked with our own beef and pork and Joby’s home-made goodies, as well as lots of local produce, most of it sourced within a 20 mile radius, even beer, wine, coffee and tea!
The farm tour is always a great hit with our guests feeding pigs, goats and calves; Martin tries to answer every question you can think of about farming.
Pets are welcome at East Shilvinghampton as long as they're kept under close control.
At the farm there are plenty of animals to meet, including our beef suckler herd; chickens; Labradors Tess and Ora; pet goats Trit and Trot; Pit, Pat and Paddle the ducks; our son Henry's pigs; and Pippin and Dizzy, the ponies belonging to our two daughters Georgina and Annabel.
After all this socialising, tuck into a hearty feast of Joby's famed home cooking, including delicious meals using beef and pork from the farm. Puddings are her speciality, especially her meringue roulade!
Find nearby sites with availability…
Many sites set a maximum occupancy of 6/8 people per pitch, so try breaking your booking down into smaller groups to generate more results. For example, if you’re a group of 10, enter 5 people in your initial search and then book 2 pitches.
However, where the pitch or accommodation occupancy allows it, you can make a booking for up to 30 adults and 30 children in one booking.
To book multiple pitches or accommodation, use the 'Special requests' box on the booking page to ask to be sited together. Complete the booking form for the first booking (you can add a password and save your card so that we remember your details). Then click "Make another booking like this" at the top of the confirmation page to make the next booking.
Large groups: check the listing page for any group restrictions set out in the terms and section titled ‘Please note’.
Large tents/caravans: check the restrictions on unit dimensions to ensure your unit is suitable for the space you will be provided with.
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Gas cylinders available
Commercial vehicles allowed
Indoor pool nearby
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
- Coach stations
Weymouth: Town Centre Coach Stops — 4.7 miles
4.7 miles Dorchester: South Rail Station Coach Stop — 5.6 miles
5.6 miles Bridport: Coach Park West Street — 11.4 miles
- Train stations
Upwey Rail Station — 3.1 miles
3.1 miles Weymouth Rail Station — 4.5 miles
4.5 miles Dorchester West Rail Station — 5.5 miles
- Ferry ports
Weymouth Ferry Terminal — 5.0 miles
5.0 miles Poole Ferry Terminal — 24.0 miles
24.0 miles Poole Quay Ferry Landing — 24.4 miles
Bournemouth International Airport — 31.9 miles
The very pretty village of Abbotsbury, with its craft shops and tearooms, is four miles from the farm and boasts subtropical gardens, a swannery, and a children's farm with soft play area. Dorchester is another highlight for many of our guests, being the historical county town of Dorset and a place that features heavily in the novels of Thomas Hardy, who was born just outside it.
The UNESCO World Heritage site of the Jurassic Coast is brilliant for fossil-hunting and you can easily get to impressive Chesil Beach, one of Britain's three major shingle structures. Portland, well known for Olympic sailing and windsurfing is also nearby.
Things to do in the area
• Weymouth is 5 miles away and has a long crescent shaped sandy beach which is great for kids and has a historic harbour, marina and nature reserve • Portland (linked to Weymouth via a causeway) is the location for the 2012 Olympic sailing • The Jurassic Coast ( UNESCO World Heritage site) where the beaches are well known for their fossils. • Chesil Beach, an 18 miles stretch of pebbled beach brought alive in Ian McEwan’s novel “On Chesil Beach.” • Portland castle which was Henry VIII’s stronghold • Dorchester is 7 miles away and is the historical County town of Dorset and features heavily in Thomas Hardy’s novels, as does much of the area around East Shilvinghampton farm. Hardy’s birthplace is just outside Dorchester. • There are many museums to keep you occupied: Dorset County Museum; Tutankhamen Museum; Dinosaur Museum and the Keep Military Museum • Abbotsbury is a very pretty village with thatched cottages, tea rooms and craft shops which is only 4 miles away. Abbotsbury is home to a swannery with 600 swans. From mid May to late June you may be able to see the cygnets hatching and also help feed them. Another claim to fame is that Abbotsbury was a film location for “Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.” • Subtropical gardens in Abbotsbury which were reported by Alan Titchmarsh to be “one of the finest gardens I have ever visited.” • Children’s farm in Abbotsbury with a soft play area. • Great walks around the whole area. • Bridport is a great market town just 10 miles away.
- Abbotsbury Swannery (2.9 miles)
- Radipole Lake Nature Reserve (4.3 miles)
- Weymouth Sea Life Park and Marine Sanctuary (4.4 miles)
- Max Gate (6.1 miles)
- Hardy's Cottage (8.1 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.