This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Stunningly scenic site 300 metres up England's third highest mountain
- Quiet/secluded but with excellent amenities including bar and lounge
- Hot and cold breakfast buffet plus supper club meals available to buy
Find your fells accommodation with a stay up high at YHA Helvellyn in Cumbria, a secluded and peaceful site on England’s third highest peak.
In the Lake District National Park five minutes’ drive from Ullswater, YHA Helvellyn’s mission is to provide a quiet retreat from the often busy valley below, but without cutting back on comfort or amenities: well-maintained showers, toilets and a guest lounge are available 24 hours a day; there’s also a library and a bike store, and a laundry and drying room for cleaning/drying any mucky or damp bits of kit.
This is a stunning setting: 964 feet up Helvellyn mountain, with stunning views over the Patterdale valley and with active options all around including walking routes and Helvellyn range climbs starting straight from the grounds – and if you’re a mountain biker, get ready for the splendid downhill ride from the Helvellyn summit). A ski slope with drag lift is 40 minutes’ hike away – or ski there if you’re around in snowy months…
No need to cart all your cooking kit and groceries up the mountain either, as you can book in and buy breakfast (a hot and cold buffet with meats, cheeses, yoghurts, fruit and full English) every morning from 730 unil 9am, and join the supper club every night to have two-course dinners with other guests or in your own quiet spot.
And then? Join fellow guests at the well-stocked bar to swap Lake District adventuring tales – of steamboat cruises, skiing, hill hiking or hurtling downhill on a mountaibn bike trail.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Lovely, helpful and knowledgeable staff. Perfect amount of amenities, nice …
From the manager...
Thanks for the great review!
From the manager...
Thanks for the great review!
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
D. of E. welcome
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Lake and/or mountain
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Dog walk nearby
Public transport nearby
Tiny (1-10 pitches)
- Coach stations
Lakeside House for Dove Cottage
— 6.6 miles
6.6 miles Daffodil Hotel for Dove Cottage — 6.7 miles
6.7 miles Bus Station — 7.5 miles
- Train stations
Penrith North Lakes Rail Station
— 11.9 miles
11.9 miles Windermere Rail Station — 12.0 miles
12.0 miles Staveley Rail Station — 13.6 miles
- Ferry ports
Glenridding Ullswater Ferry Landing
— 1.5 miles
1.5 miles Howtown Ullswater Ferry Landing — 5.0 miles
5.0 miles Ashness Gate Derwentwater Ferry Landing — 6.3 miles
Newcastle International Airport
— 61.0 miles
England third highest, and most climbed, mountain Helvellyn is the big draw around here, and rightly so: this peak making up the highest point of the Helvellyn range has been named by the BBC as the best walk in England.
Probably even more famed in the Lake District is Ullswater, the national park’s second biggest lake and accessible an easy five-minutes’ drive – or about half an hour’s walk – away. A ride on an Ullswater steamer is a must in this part of the Lakes, followed by a hike along part of the Ullswater Way past Pooley Bridge; access the path at Glenridding, for the remote six and a half-mile path to Howtown.
If you’re determined to stick to watery pursuits (sensible), these are easily sorted five minutes’ drive away too at Glenridding’s watersports centre on the Ullswater shores, where sailing, boating, kayaking and canoeing are all available. Further cruises are on Windermere, half an hour’s drive away: obviously you know that this is the biggest Lake District lake...
- Ullswater Steamers (1.5 miles)
- Castlerigg Stone Circle (6.0 miles)
- Dove Cottage and the Wordsworth Museum (6.6 miles)
- Grasmere and Great Langdale (7.8 miles)
- Townend (9.9 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does YHA Helvellyn have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is YHA Helvellyn dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near YHA Helvellyn? England third highest, and most climbed, mountain Helvellyn is the big draw around here, and rightly so: this peak making up the highest point of the Helvellyn range has been named by … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of YHA Helvellyn?
On-site accommodation Arrive: 5 p.m. – 10 p.m. Depart by: 10 a.m.