This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
- Eco-friendly site on an organic farm with 70 acres to explore
- Walk directly into Woodchester Park; 15 minutes' drive to Stroud
- Pick-your-own pitches with campfires encouraged: shop on site
Book yourself a stay at Thistledown Farm Campsite and you’ll be following in a whole host of footsteps from across the ages. Several ancient finds have surfaced at this fabulous Gloucestershire spot, including neolithic hand tools, a rare Iron Age storage pit and evidence for Roman occupation. In later centuries, the farm became part of the Woodchester Park Estate – look out for the remains of the old seven-mile deer wall as you wander.
For the past 30 years or so, the farm has been owned by Richard, who’s developed it organically and sustainably, reinstating the organic dairy and establishing the world’s largest elderflower orchard. There’s a real emphasis on promoting nature here too: the site is used to rehome species that have been disturbed by development, and it’s part of the Cotswolds Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
In keeping with that ethos, green values are promoted on the campsite – the lower fields are kept car-free, and you can pick up a walking map on arrival to help you explore the area on foot. This is also a site that values freedom, allowing guests to pick their own pitch and light a campfire for that essential outdoor experience.
As guests of the farm you’re also welcome to wander along the footpaths that wind through its 70 acres, taking in picnic spots, meadows, woodland, streams and ponds as you go. Once you’ve worked up an appetite, stop by at the site shop for local meats, bread, milk and other essentials from local suppliers.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Amazing campsite - bags of space with well kept facilities. …
Beautiful campsite in idyllic surrounds, great for families or friends
Excellent campsite, great shop for emergencies and a lovely pizzeria
Not worth the money
Good amount of space, very peaceful even with the amount …
Ideal for groups of families to gather, with good facilities.
Great campsite that's a wildlife haven. Clean and friendly.
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
Dog walk nearby
Nearby farmers' market
Small (11-25 pitches)
Mountain biking nearby
- Coach stations
— 4.0 miles
4.0 miles Dark Lane — 5.5 miles
5.5 miles Dark Lane — 5.5 miles
- Train stations
Stonehouse Rail Station
— 2.8 miles
2.8 miles Cam & Dursley Rail Station — 3.4 miles
3.4 miles Stroud (Glos) Rail Station — 3.8 miles
- Ferry ports
Sharpness Old Docks
— 8.7 miles
8.7 miles Lydney Harbour — 9.6 miles
9.6 miles Castle Park Ferry Landing — 21.8 miles
— 14.0 miles
14.0 miles Bristol International Airport — 28.8 miles
Once you’ve had a wander around the farm’s own intriguing corners, continue your history-themed mission in the local area with a stroll into Woodchester Park, next door. The National Trust site has several trails leading around its lake and woods to the remains of an unfinished Victorian mansion. A longer walk might take you on to Uley Long Barrow, a Neolithic burial mound half an hour away on foot.
For more history and culture, plan a day out in Bath (45 minutes' drive), to visit the Roman Baths and Fashion Museum, climb the tower at Bath Abbey and gawp at gorgeous architecture like the Royal Crescent before tucking into afternoon tea or taking a soak in the rooftop pool at Thermae Bath Spa.
Away from the urban streets there are lots of gardens to explore nearby too, including those at Highgrove House, Newark Park and Westonbirt, the National Arboretum (all 15 minutes), plus the lovely Painswick Rococo Garden (20 minutes), which also has a maze and several follies to seek out.
- WWT Slimbridge Wetlands Centre (5.7 miles)
- Painswick Rococo Garden (7.0 miles)
- Westonbirt, The National Arboretum (7.5 miles)
- Woodchester Park (0.4 miles)
- Newark Park (4.9 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
Permitted arrival/departure time
|Camping and touring|
|Arrive:||12 p.m. –||7 p.m.|
|Depart by:||12 p.m.|
Thistledown Farm Campsite cancellation policy
Balance refunds: no penalties
Bookings cannot be amended within 14 day(s) of arrival.
The site is not liable for any refund in the event of force majeure.
If you need to cancel or amend your booking, please give as much notice as possible so that someone else has the chance to book. You may wish to buy holiday insurance for cancellations and for your property/injury whilst away.
Please note that your deposit is paid to Pitchup.com and is non-refundable.
A 15% non-refundable deposit is payable now.
The remainder is payable direct to Thistledown Farm Campsite on arrival.
Payment methods accepted on the parkAmerican Express
Terms and conditionsSite booking terms and conditions
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does Thistledown Farm Campsite have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Thistledown Farm Campsite dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Thistledown Farm Campsite? Once you’ve had a wander around the farm’s own intriguing corners, continue your history-themed mission in the local area with a stroll into Woodchester Park, next door. The National Trust site has … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of Thistledown Farm Campsite?
Camping and touring Arrive: 12 p.m. – 7 p.m. Depart by: 12 p.m.