This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Family-friendly site in stunningly scenic Crater Lakes district
- Within 20-minute drive of Kibale Forest National Park and Lake Nkurubu
- Restaurant, bar, braai facilities, and forest and birdwatching tours
Sometimes all you need is a few days out in the wild, with greenery all around and a blissful jungle-filled peace… If that sounds right up your tree-lined street, make your way to Green Home Cottages and Campsite, a family-friendly site 40 minutes’ drive from Fort Portal in the Kasenda region of western Uganda.
The site’s in the spectacularly scenic Crater Lakes district, so expecting jaw-dropping views over peaceful waters and lush forestry wouldn’t be too far off the mark. The team runs forest excursions too, so be sure to sign up for a nature walk to get the full experience – keep eyes peeled on these wooded wanders for local wildlife, particularly the birds flitting through the branches above.
There are spacious gardens on site if being surrounded by greenery is a must and, if there simply isn’t enough leafy splendour close to base, Kibale National Forest Park is a mere 20 minutes away. Kibale is a top spot for chimpanzees, so make time for a tracking and trekking tour to get close to the primates (as well as colobus, red-tailed monkeys, grey-cheeked mangabeys and more).
Full days are pretty much guaranteed hereabouts, so evenings should be devoted to unwinding with feet up – there’s a bar service on site, as well as a small restaurant and braai facilities for guests, so grab a bite and a drink before retiring to the lounge area for a chilled evening of soaking up the views over Mbajo lake.
Tourist board rating
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Alas, no reviews yet. We only show the last 30 months' reviews.
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
Dog walk nearby
Nearby farmers' market
Public transport nearby
Large (51-200 pitches)
If Kibale whet appetites for chimpanzees, the next stop should be Queen Elizabeth National Park about an hour’s drive away – Kyambura Game Reserve, inside the park, is a prime (should that be primate?) spot for observing chimps, and there are plenty of guide-led treks to choose from.
Serious hikers and climbers may want to head instead to the UNESCO World Heritage Rwenzori Mountains National Park, a little over an hour from base, to scale peaks that include Africa’s third-highest, while those in search of real African safari vibes can make the two-hour journey to Semuliki National Park for game drives, birdwatching and hikes to hot springs.
Exploring the lakes of Uganda’s Crater Lakes district is a must too, and some of the finest examples are within easy reach: Nkurubu is widely considered to be the most scenic and is just 10 minutes away, and Lake Nyamirima (which features on one of the country’s bank notes) is within half an hour.
Prefer an urban day? The shops, restaurants, markets and botanic gardens of Fort Portal are 40 minutes from base.
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does Green Home Cottages and Campsite have a swimming pool? Yes View all features
- Is Green Home Cottages and Campsite dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Green Home Cottages and Campsite? If Kibale whet appetites for chimpanzees, the next stop should be Queen Elizabeth National Park about an hour’s drive away – Kyambura Game Reserve, inside the park, is a prime (should that … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of Green Home Cottages and Campsite?
Camping and touring Arrive: Anytime – Anytime Depart by: 10 a.m. On-site accommodation Arrive: Anytime – Anytime Depart by: 10 a.m.