This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Colourful and well-maintained resort 400 metres from the Waitaki River
- Close to the main north-south State Highway 1 for easy access
- Friendly owners, outdoor social area, kitchen and cosy lounge
Award-winning, spectacularly set, and with salmon and trout fishing a few minutes' stroll away... what a South Island stunner.
Run by friendly owners Anne and Joe who make it their mission to give every guest a warm welcome, Glenavy's Waitaki River Motor Camp is a colourful and pretty place between Oamaru and Waimate, close to the main north-south State Highway 1 for easy access to and fro. It's 400 metres from here to the famed Waitaki River and its fishing for salmon, trout and whitebait, and within walking distance of the local hotel for drinks and mingles with locals. The Waitaki lakes, the blue penguins of Oamaru, the wallabies of Waimate, Koekohe Beach, the Moeraki Boulders and Timaru are all well within an hour's drive.
The site has handsomely maintained grounds and gardens – see pics – as well as a roomy outdoor seating and social area with barbecue, fireplace and gas heating. Guests also have access to a large kitchen and dining area, and a lounge with undercover outdoor seating available
A general store is within walking distance. For eating out, the award-winning Riverstone Kitchen restaurant, which also has shops, a big playground and roomy gardens, is just under five kilometres away.
Tourist board rating
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Alas, no reviews yet. We only show the last 30 months' reviews.
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Dog walk nearby
Medium (26-50 pitches)
It's a cinch getting out and about around here, whether you opt for ambles and angling around the riverbank, tackling a local hiking or cycling path, or using the nearby highway for day trip destinations further afield.
The Waitaki District's main town Oamaru is 20 minutes' drive south and well worth a wander for its Victorian vibe, Forrester and Grainstore galleries, and The Libratory and Steampunk HQ: Oamaru is known as a steampunk centre and in 2016 entered the record books with the biggest gathering of steampunks in the world. The town's also famed for its blue penguin colony, living just outside the harbour.
More Kiwi wildlife is 20 minutes north at Waimate, originally introduced from Australia and now living wild in the countryside around the town. Waimate visitors should also take a hike up to the lookout of the White Horse Monument, for handsome views of the town and its surrounding green plains towards the Pacific.
Other options include Duntroon (30 minutes), for the Vanished World Heritage Centre, Elephant Rocks and Maori rock drawings, and the Moeraki Boulders of Koekohe beach, 50 minutes' drive away. Canterbury and Dunedin are within a couple of hours north and south.
- Does Glenavy's Waitaki River Motor Camp have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Glenavy's Waitaki River Motor Camp dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Glenavy's Waitaki River Motor Camp? It's a cinch getting out and about around here, whether you opt for ambles and angling around the riverbank, tackling a local hiking or cycling path, or using the nearby highway for … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of Glenavy's Waitaki River Motor Camp?
Camping and touring Arrive: 2 p.m. – 8 p.m. Depart by: 10 a.m. On-site accommodation Arrive: 2 p.m. – 8 p.m. Depart by: 10 a.m.