This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
A tranquil country park tucked away in the Darran Valley, two miles north of Bargoed. Take an easy stroll along lakeside paths or wander through shady woodlands. Discover sunny wildflower meadows when you follow our short trail through the Cwmllwydrew Meadows Local Nature Reserve.
If you like it hear enough not to leave, then don't. We've got a campsite with electric hook ups, hot showers, and washing up facilities: stay the week and explore the area.
South Wales is one of the best places for Mountain biking in Europe! A network of cycle paths and scenic trails take you deeper into the historic landscapes of the northern Rhymney Valley. After all that exercise you can take a break in the Lakeside Coffee Shop with a cup of tea and delicious homemade cake and use the Touch Screen interactive games.
Visit the odd shaped Powder Store. Part of the former Ogilvie Colliery on which the park is built, it has been restored and is one of the last remaining in Wales, or walk over the unique wooden footbridge at the former Ogilvie Halt.
You can also hire an MP3 player to listen to the audio trail around the Lake from the visitor centre.
•Healthy walking route
•Toilets (accessible for people with disabilities - seasonal opening)
•Campsite (seasonal opening)
•Visitor Centre (10.30am to 4pm, April to September, Weekends only in October)*
•Café (11am to 4pm, April to September.)*
•* Opening times are 10.30 to 4.30 for the Café and Visitor Centre in the school summer holidays.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Alas, no reviews yet. We only show the last 30 months' reviews.
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
D. of E. welcome
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
Dog walk nearby
Public transport nearby
Small (11-25 pitches)
Cycle hire nearby
Mountain biking nearby
- Coach stations
— 4.1 miles
4.1 miles Bus Station — 4.5 miles
4.5 miles Inner Bypass — 5.2 miles
- Train stations
Tir-phil Rail Station
— 1.6 miles
1.6 miles Pontlottyn Rail Station — 1.7 miles
1.7 miles Brithdir Rail Station — 2.5 miles
- Ferry ports
Newport (S Wales) Ferry Terminal
— 17.1 miles
17.1 miles Cardiff Castle Waterbus Stop — 17.1 miles
17.1 miles Taffs Mead Waterbus Stop — 17.6 miles
Cardiff International Airport
— 22.5 miles
How to get there
Location: Google maps
By Bus: Service 1 - Bargoed to Merthyr, Service 4 - Bargoed to Tredegar.
By bike: Use the Darran Valley cycleway from Bargoed or Fochriw
By car: The entrance is midway between Deri and Fochriw (to the north of Bargoed).
Merthyr Bike Park at Gethin woodland Park.
Bryn Bach Country Park
Cwm Carn Forest Drive and Visitor centre
Parc Coetir Bargod
- Brecon Mountain Railway (6.2 miles)
- Big Pit: National Coal Museum (8.4 miles)
- Blaenavon Ironworks (9.1 miles)
- Aberdulais Falls (21.4 miles)
- Skenfrith Castle (23.6 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
- Does Parc Cwm Darran have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Parc Cwm Darran dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Parc Cwm Darran? Merthyr Bike Park at Gethin woodland Park. Bryn Bach Country Park Cyfarthfa Castle LLancaiach Fawr Cwm Carn Forest Drive and Visitor centre Caerphilly Castle Parc Penallta Parc Coetir Bargod Big Pit Read more