Why not enter some details and get an accurate price?
- Quiet camping field for over-16s behind a popular pub near Simonsbath
- Pub site situated on the Two Moors Way in Exmoor National Park
- Dark-sky reserve and wildlife haven at an inn known for its food
Like the sound of hikes along the Two Moors Way or the Tarka Trail with the promise of a pint of Somerset cider at the end of it? Camping at The Exmoor Forest Inn near Simonsbath is probably going to suit you very well.
Set bang in the middle of Exmoor National Park, the grass pitches at the rear of the historic Victorian inn provide a great overnighting spot for long-distance walkers – or indeed a peaceful rural base if you fancy hanging around for a few days to explore the area.
Bordered by Ashcombe Water and mature woodland, the campsite is within easy staggering distance of the pub, which is renowned for serving the freshest and best local organic produce including beef, lamb and venison reared in the owners’ farm, which surrounds the campsite.
A cooked breakfast is served daily in the inn and is available to campers, but you'll need to book ahead. Seasonal local produce is often available for sale too.
On-site facilities include a modern bathroom, firepits for hire and kindling to buy. Pitch numbers are limited so you can unwind in peace and enjoy the views over the River Barle opposite the inn. If you’re quiet during the day, chances are you can spot all manner of wildlife. By night, watch out for views of the Milky Way – the lack of light pollution hereabouts has led to Exmoor being designated as an international dark-sky reserve.
Please note: this site does not accept anyone under the age of 16.
Open from 26/05/2023 to 29/05/2023
Open from 01/06/2023 to 04/06/2023
Open from 30/06/2023 to 02/07/2023
Open from 07/07/2023 to 09/07/2023
Open from 14/07/2023 to 16/07/2023
Open from 21/07/2023 to 23/07/2023
Open from 28/07/2023 to 30/07/2023
Open from 04/08/2023 to 06/08/2023
Open from 11/08/2023 to 13/08/2023
Open from 18/08/2023 to 20/08/2023
Open from 24/08/2023 to 28/08/2023
Open from 01/09/2023 to 03/09/2023
No electric barbecues allowed.
Bookings must not be for more than 5 consecutive nights.
Discount cards and gift vouchers cannot be applied to bookings made via Pitchup.com.
Please note that the toilet/shower facilities are unisex.
Under 18s must be accompanied by their parents or legal guardians.
No cars/motorbikes by the pitch/unit. All cars must be parked in the designated area.
Guests are advised to bring a good quality torch with them as parts of the site are unlit.
No gas barbecues allowed.
This is a quiet site: no music is allowed.
If making a fire, the fuel, logs and coal have to be purchased on site.
The site does not accept breeds/crossbreeds listed in the Dangerous Dogs Act (i.e. Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, and Fila Brasileiro) and/or any of the following: Staffordshire bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Rottweiler, any Mastiff or Tosa.
Guests under the age of 16 are not allowed on site.
Your dog must be tattooed or microchipped.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Non-electric grass tent pitch
Max. persons: 4 x
One Tent allowed per pitch
Pitch size : Max 5.0m width x 5.0m depth (16.4ft width x 16.4ft depth) Calculated area: 25.0m² (269.1ft²)
Ground type: Grass
Based on a stay for 2 adultsAvailability by arrival day (British Pound (£), extras not included) (Euro (€), extras not included) (Australian Dollar (A$), extras not included) (US Dollar (US$), extras not included) (Canadian Dollar (CA$), extras not included) (Swiss Franc (CHF), extras not included) (Swedish Krona (SEK), extras not included) (Danish Krone (DKK), extras not included) (Norwegian Krone (NOK), extras not included) (Icelandic Króna (ISK), extras not included) (Argentine Peso (ARS), extras not included) (Chilean Peso (CLP), extras not included) (Peruvian Sol (PEN), extras not included) (New Zealand Dollar (NZ$), extras not included) (South African Rand (ZAR), extras not included) (Polish Zloty (PLN), extras not included) (Brazilian Real (R$), extras not included) (Czech Koruna (CZK), extras not included) (Serbian Dinar (RSD), extras not included) (Hungarian Forint (HUF), extras not included) (Russian Rouble (RUB), extras not included) (Chinese Yuan (CN¥), extras not included)
Clean, new facilities and lovely pub.
Lovely peaceful spot behind inn. Excellent shower and loo. Very …
Perfect for anyone walking the 2 Moors Way.
Nice facilities - check the small print!
From the manager...
Thank you for your review and once again apologies for the confusion over the roof tent.
In regards to comments about a loud party - this was a one off event to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee for which we had offered to let the village use the pub to have a celebratory dinner together. It was over by 10pm and was a one off event to celebrate a very unique event.
Exmoor Forest Inn
Best camping I’ve experienced.
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Leave the car at home
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
Dog walk nearby
Tiny (1-10 pitches)
- Coach stations
— 9.1 miles
9.1 miles The Square — 9.2 miles
9.2 miles The Parade — 12.8 miles
- Train stations
Umberleigh Rail Station
— 14.0 miles
14.0 miles Barnstaple Rail Station — 14.2 miles
14.2 miles Chapelton (Devon) Rail Station — 14.5 miles
- Ferry ports
— 13.3 miles
13.3 miles Ilfracombe Ferry Landing — 16.3 miles
16.3 miles Instow Ferry Landing — 19.6 miles
Cardiff International Airport
— 25.4 miles
Local attractions and activities include:
- Exmoor National Park (walking and cycling): access from site
- Wheal Eliza Mine: five minutes’ drive
- Tarr Steps (clapper bridge): 20 minutes
- Lynton: 20 minutes
- Lynmouth: 20 minutes
- Dunkery Beacon (viewpoint): 20 minutes
- Dulverton: 25 minutes
- Porlock: 25 minutes
- Webbers Post (moorland views): 25 minutes
- Greencombe Gardens: half an hour
- Dunster (medieval village): half an hour.
- RHS Garden Rosemoor (21.5 miles)
- The National Trust Killerton House & Gardens (27.3 miles)
- Blackdown Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (27.6 miles)
- Watersmeet (6.0 miles)
- Heddon Valley (9.2 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
Permitted arrival/departure time
|Camping and touring|
|Arrive:||3 p.m. –||8 p.m.|
|Depart by:||10 a.m.|
The Exmoor Forest Inn cancellation policy
Balance refunds: no penalties
Modifications are subject to a £25.00 fee.
Bookings cannot be amended within 2 day(s) of arrival.
The site is not liable for any refund in the event of force majeure.
No refunds/discounts for inclement weather, late arrivals or early departures.
If you need to cancel or amend your booking, please give as much notice as possible so that someone else has the chance to book. You may wish to buy holiday insurance for cancellations and for your property/injury whilst away.
Please note that your deposit is paid to Pitchup.com and is non-refundable.
A 15% non-refundable deposit is payable now.
The remainder is payable direct to The Exmoor Forest Inn on arrival.
Payment methods accepted on the parkCash
Terms and conditionsSite booking terms and conditions
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does The Exmoor Forest Inn have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is The Exmoor Forest Inn dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near The Exmoor Forest Inn? Local attractions and activities include: - Exmoor National Park (walking and cycling): access from site - Wheal Eliza Mine: five minutes’ drive - Tarr Steps (clapper bridge): 20 minutes - Lynton: 20 … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of The Exmoor Forest Inn?
Camping and touring Arrive: 3 p.m. – 8 p.m. Depart by: 10 a.m.
- How much does it cost to stay at The Exmoor Forest Inn? From £25 (for 1 night, 4 people) - prices may change depending on your dates and party. Check prices and availability