This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
- Unspoilt, rustic wild campsite on the edge of Shaftesbury
- Half-hour drive to Stourhead and Longleat; an hour to Jurassic Coast
- Easy access to town centre and local walks on Melbury Hill
Mayo Farm Camping is a peaceful Dorset wild camping site that has a very secluded feeling despite its handy position a mile outside Shaftesbury.
There are splendid views of Melbury Hill from this hidden-away corner, and walking/bike routes run up and along the hill from the site for those who’d like to hike up for a closer view. Once you’ve warmed up with that, there are plenty more paths to ply nearby – perhaps around Duncliffe Wood, Hambledon Hill and Bulbarrow or over at Wareham Forest and the North Dorset Trailway. It’s about an hour’s drive down to the Jurassic Coast too if you fancy a coastal walk followed by a dunk in the sea.
Fodder for all this can be acquired up in Shaftesbury: it’s a place of local delis and butchers as well as a large supermarket so you should be all set for a barbecue back at base. Alternatively, settle in one of the town centre’s pubs or restaurants for a meal (once you’ve taken a nostalgic wander up and down the famed Gold Hill, of course).
Life on site is fairly simple, with just basic facilities in the form of toilets and cold running water. Numbers on site are always kept quite low so there should be plenty of space to relax; guests are asked to help preserve the unspoilt nature of the site by taking all rubbish away with them. Dogs are welcome but must be kept on a leash.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Quiet & relaxed atmosphere, really friendly hosts and a lovely …
Lovely setting, friendly people, informal site
Beautiful quiet site overlooking views owners are very very lovely
Perfect, peaceful adult only site
Clean but basic facilities, friendly staff
loved the site. its very basic as described on the …
24+ hour ventilation between accommodation guests
Capacity reduced to increase social distancing
Check-in: contactless (in person)
Disinfectant sprays and wipes provided
Hand sanitising stations
Shared spaces: more frequent cleaning
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Dog walk nearby
Small (11-25 pitches)
Leisure/theme park nearby
Mountain biking nearby
- Coach stations
The Town Hall
— 1.0 miles
1.0 miles The Town Hall — 1.0 miles
1.0 miles Virginia Ash — 9.7 miles
- Train stations
Gillingham (Dorset) Rail Station
— 4.8 miles
4.8 miles Tisbury Rail Station — 6.1 miles
6.1 miles Templecombe Rail Station — 10.4 miles
- Ferry ports
Poole Quay Ferry Landing
— 21.5 miles
21.5 miles Poole Ferry Terminal — 21.6 miles
21.6 miles Brownsea Island Ferry Landing — 23.5 miles
Bournemouth International Airport
— 21.5 miles
Attractions and activities nearby include:
- Shaftesbury (Gold Hill, Castle Hill and independent shops): five minutes' drive
- Compton Abbas Airfield: five minutes
- Duncliffe Wood: 10 minutes
- Fonthill Lake: 20 minutes
- Old Wardour Castle: 20 minutes
- North Dorset Trailway: 20 minutes
- Stourhead (National Trust estate): 25 minutes
- Hauser & Wirth (gardens and art gallery): half an hour
- Wareham Forest: half an hour
- Longleat House and safari park: half an hour
- Monkey World animal park: 40 minutes
- Jurassic Coast: an hour.
- Stourhead House and Garden (9.7 miles)
- Longleat (13.7 miles)
- Kingston Lacy House and Gardens (14.3 miles)
- Stourhead (9.6 miles)
- Philipps House and Dinton Park (10.2 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
Permitted arrival/departure time
|Camping and touring|
|Arrive:||1 p.m. –||8:30 p.m.|
|Depart by:||12 p.m.|
Mayo Farm Camping cancellation policy
No refunds within 1 week of arrival date.
Bookings cannot be amended within 7 day(s) of arrival.
The site is not liable for any refund in the event of force majeure.
No refunds/discounts for inclement weather, late arrivals or early departures.
If you need to cancel or amend your booking, please give as much notice as possible so that someone else has the chance to book. You may wish to buy holiday insurance for cancellations and for your property/injury whilst away.
Please note that your deposit is paid to Pitchup.com and is non-refundable.
Deposit transferable during COVID-19. Mayo Farm Camping will debit the balance from your card 1 week before arrival, or if the arrival date is sooner than 1 week then the balance will be taken immediately.
Refunds within the indicated cancellation period are only possible if the site is able to relet your unit/pitch.Deposit transferable during COVID-19. During COVID-19 you can transfer your deposit to a future stay booked within 3 months of your arrival date. Read more.
You can also opt to pay the full amount at the time of your booking.
Payment methods accepted on the parkBank transfer
Terms and conditionsSite booking terms and conditions
- Does Mayo Farm Camping have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Mayo Farm Camping dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Mayo Farm Camping? Attractions and activities nearby include: - Shaftesbury (Gold Hill, Castle Hill and independent shops): five minutes' drive - Compton Abbas Airfield: five minutes - Duncliffe Wood: 10 minutes - Fonthill Lake: 20 … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of Mayo Farm Camping?
Camping and touring Arrive: 1 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Depart by: 12 p.m.