This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Adults-only glamping near Lealhom in the North York Moors
- Spectacular walks nearby; within 20 minutes' drive of Whitby
- Woodburning stove, TV and DVD library
Did somebody say spectacular views?
The Game Larder is a working sheep and cattle farm, set on a hilltop facing most scenically down the Esk valley and opposite Danby beacon. The views are spectacular and the sunsets even more so, and you'll have your own private decked terrace at which to settle back admire both at your leisure any time of day.
Acquired originally for the local shooting estate around the turn of the 20th century, the lodge was hewn from cedarwood and spent most of the last century hidden unused in the woods until it was relocated and repurposed as somewhere for retreating peeps to use as a luxury glamping getaway.
With a small fridge, an electric hob, a kettle, utensils and a toaster at your disposal in the lodge (and a large fridge freezer in the amenities block for more sizeable foodie stocks), you’ll not need to move for much once plonked; pick your fave flick from the DVD library, light up the woodburning fire and cosy up for an evening in front the box, or go for something mildly more cerebral with a book or a board game.
When the day is done, clamber up to the cosy mezzanine for a restful night’s slumber in the cabin’s comfy double, or fold out the sofa downstairs if your days outdoors have you too weary to make the short climb. Bring your own bedding and towels or pay a small fee to rent from the site.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Super friendly host, cosy cabin with everything you might need
Lovely hut in a great area. Friendly owner
Excellent site and facilities
Unique accommodation in a breathtaking setting
excellent everything you need for a relaxing break
Fantastic place to stay, incredible views, everything you'd need!
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
No dogs allowed
Leave the car at home
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Dog walk nearby
Tiny (1-10 pitches)
- Coach stations
— 9.5 miles
9.5 miles The Royal Oak — 14.4 miles
14.4 miles Sunday School — 17.7 miles
- Train stations
Lealholm Rail Station
— 1.2 miles
1.2 miles Glaisdale Rail Station — 2.1 miles
2.1 miles Danby Rail Station — 3.0 miles
- Ferry ports
Transporter Bridge North Side
— 18.1 miles
18.1 miles Transporter Bridge South Side — 18.1 miles
Durham Tees Valley Airport
— 24.1 miles
Smack bang in the middle of the North York Moors National Park, The Game Larder is a mere 20 minutes’ walk from the little village of Lealholm, oft hailed as the prettiest in all of Yorkshire. To explore the countryside on foot, begin a nearby scenic circular stroll along the banks of the Esk and around the dales and hills near the village, and end up on a hillside for some splendiferous views across the dales.
Over in Fryup valley there’s a bike hire service and a café, and plenty of traditional moorland villages including Rosedale, Goathland, Farndale, and Grosmont are within a 30-minute drive.
Whitby is the next obvious sightseeing choice, for Whitby Abbey and the Captain Cook Museum and its HMS Endeavour replica plus harbour, galleries, old pubs and award-winning seafood restaurants; if you’re with the tiddlers, swimming, rockpooling and fossil hunting along the seashore are topping options here too.
- The Moors National Park Centre (2.4 miles)
- Whitby Abbey (9.8 miles)
- Dalby Forest Visitor Centre (13.5 miles)
- Bridestones, Crosscliff and Blakey Topping (12.9 miles)
- Yorkshire Coast (14.5 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
- Does The Game Larder have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is The Game Larder dog friendly? No View all features
- What attractions are near The Game Larder? Smack bang in the middle of the North York Moors National Park, The Game Larder is a mere 20 minutes’ walk from the little village of Lealholm, oft hailed as the prettiest … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of The Game Larder?
On-site accommodation Arrive: 2 p.m. – 11:30 p.m. Depart by: 11 a.m.