Why not enter some details and get an accurate price?
- Laidback site on a 40-acre ranch 10 minutes' drive from Moffat
- A 10-minute drive to Crestone; several hot springs within half an hour
- Dark sky area for stargazing, with stunning mountain views
The High Desert Ranch is a 40-acre Colorado campground with easy access from the main road and the town of Moffat, 10 minutes’ drive away.
The surroundings here are pretty spectacular – it’s ranch land, state land and wildlife refuge all around, and there are mountain views of the Sangre de Cristo Range in every direction. Hiking, horse riding and off-roading trails are a few minutes away for in-depth exploring, but there are sights to be seen from the campground too: the state’s second-largest herd of elk can often be seen from the property.
Back in the 1980s this land was part of a large ranch; that ranch is still up and running but this parcel of land has now been turned into a laidback site that welcomes families, couples, groups and dogs who’d like to explore places like the Great Sand Dunes or Gunnison National Forest. Being pretty far removed from urban centres also means this is a great dark-sky spot for stargazing.
The campground is fairly basic, with just portaloos, wifi and a dog park on the facilities front, but the pitches are spacious and there’s no problem lighting up campfires or barbecues (pick up supplies at the grocery store 10 minutes’ drive away).
Open from 14/05/2021 to 01/10/2021
At least one of the party members must be aged 18 or over.
Under 18s must be accompanied by their parents or legal guardians.
This site has no on-site shower facilities.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Non-electric gravel and earth tent or trailer tent pitch
Max. persons: 8 x
Pitch size : Max 12.2m width x 12.2m depth (40.0ft width x 40.0ft depth) Calculated area: 148.6m² (1600.0ft²)
Ground type: Gravel and earth
Based on a 1 night stay for 2 adultsAvailability by arrival day (British Pound (£), extras not included) (Euro (€), extras not included) (Australian Dollar (A$), extras not included) (US Dollar (US$), extras not included) (Canadian Dollar (CA$), extras not included) (Swiss Franc (CHF), extras not included) (Swedish Krona (SEK), extras not included) (Danish Krone (DKK), extras not included) (Norwegian Krone (NOK), extras not included) (Icelandic Króna (ISK), extras not included) (Argentine Peso (ARS), extras not included) (Chilean Peso (CLP), extras not included) (Peruvian Sol (PEN), extras not included) (New Zealand Dollar (NZ$), extras not included) (South African Rand (ZAR), extras not included) (Polish Zloty (PLN), extras not included) (Brazilian Real (R$), extras not included) (Czech Koruna (CZK), extras not included) (Serbian Dinar (RSD), extras not included) (Hungarian Forint (HUF), extras not included) (Russian Rouble (RUB), extras not included) (Chinese Yuan (CN¥), extras not included)
Alas, no reviews yet. We only show the last 30 months' reviews.
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Dog walk nearby
Small (11-25 pitches)
Attractions and activities nearby include:
- Crestone (spiritual centre for numerous religions): 10 minutes' drive
- Sangre De Cristo Wilderness: 25 minutes
- Joyful Journey Hot Springs: 25 minutes
- Sand Dunes Recreation hot springs pool: 25 minutes
- UFO Watchtower: 25 minutes
- Colorado Gators Reptile Park: half an hour
- Gunnison National Forest: 40 minutes
- Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuge: an hour
- Great Sand Dunes Visitor Center: an hour.
Permitted arrival/departure time
|Camping and touring|
|Arrive:||1 p.m. –||11 p.m.|
|Depart by:||11 a.m.|
The High Desert Ranch cancellation policy
No refunds within 3 days of arrival date.
Bookings cannot be amended within 1 day(s) of arrival.
No refunds/discounts for inclement weather, late arrivals or early departures.
If you need to cancel or amend your booking, please give as much notice as possible so that someone else has the chance to book. You may wish to buy holiday insurance for cancellations and for your property/injury whilst away.
Please note that your deposit is paid to Pitchup.com and is non-refundable.
Deposit transferable during COVID-19. The High Desert Ranch will debit the balance from your card 15 days before arrival, or if the arrival date is sooner than 15 days then the balance will be taken immediately.Deposit transferable during COVID-19. During COVID-19 you can transfer your deposit to a future stay booked within 3 months of your arrival date. Read more.
You can also opt to pay the full amount at the time of your booking.
Payment methods accepted on the parkCash
Terms and conditionsSite booking terms and conditions
- Does The High Desert Ranch have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is The High Desert Ranch dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near The High Desert Ranch? Attractions and activities nearby include: - Crestone (spiritual centre for numerous religions): 10 minutes' drive - Sangre De Cristo Wilderness: 25 minutes - Joyful Journey Hot Springs: 25 minutes - Sand Dunes … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of The High Desert Ranch?
Camping and touring Arrive: 1 p.m. – 11 p.m. Depart by: 11 a.m.
- How much does it cost to stay at The High Desert Ranch? From £20.08 (for 1 night, 4 people) - prices may change depending on your dates and party. Check prices and availability