This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Peaceful desert oasis site with stunning views of Spitzkoppe mountain
- Guided hikes, bike rides, drives and sunset tours from the site
- Swimming pool, bar, restaurant and braai facilities
Wow – how stunning are the surrounds of Spitzkoppe Tented Camp? Best be arriving here with a camera fully charged up to 11, as this is the kind of place that’s liable to send most visitors on a pic-snapping frenzy.
The big daddy of the Grosse Spitzkuppe Nature Reserve, the towering Spitzkoppe mountain (aka the Matterhorn of Africa, and one of the country’s most recognisable landmarks) looms over the place, forming a pretty jawdropping outlook from most corners of the site. If one ever needed an excuse for a drink, it’s handy to note that some of the best views are those that accompany a beer or two at the open-air bar, especially around sunset.
As captivating as those views are, there’s much more to explore around the area – amazing rock formations, archaeological sites, rock paintings and secret caves among the attractions. Solo desert wandering being not such a great idea, the friendly folk on site can take you out hiking, cycling, free climbing or on drives through the mountains, the bush and/or the scenic sands.
Back at base, rid yourself of residual desert heat with a dip in the open-air pool before trotting over to the restaurant for a feed. If you’d rather cook up your own feast, there are braai facilities and firepits around for peaceful evenings spent looking up at the stars.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Alas, no reviews yet. We only show the last 30 months' reviews.
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Tents for hire
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
No dogs allowed
Lake and/or mountain
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
Dog walk nearby
Small (11-25 pitches)
Cycle hire nearby
Horse riding nearby
Mountain biking nearby
No surprises to find that the Grosse Spitzkoppe Nature Reserve, a couple of minutes’ drive from site, is the major draw around here. The peaks, which rise up to 700 metres above the desert floor, are formed of granite that’s said to be a mind-boggling 700 million years old. There are some fab day-long walks around the park, and well over 30 ancient rock art sites to seek out.
Hikes in the mountain reserve need to be done with a guide; reception can sort that out for you, along with bush walks, bike hire, horse riding and climbing trips. Sunset and nighttime tours can be had too if you fancy seeing the rock formations in a different light.
If you’re moving on elsewhere from the site, you can reach Swakopmund with a drive of around an hour and a half or get to Walvis Bay in about two hours. Also a couple of hours away are the game drives of the Omaruru Game Park and Namib-Naukluft National Park.
- Does Spitzkoppe Tented Camp have a swimming pool? Yes View all features
- Is Spitzkoppe Tented Camp dog friendly? No View all features
- What attractions are near Spitzkoppe Tented Camp? No surprises to find that the Grosse Spitzkoppe Nature Reserve, a couple of minutes’ drive from site, is the major draw around here. The peaks, which rise up to 700 metres above … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of Spitzkoppe Tented Camp?
Camping and touring Arrive: 10 a.m. – Anytime Depart by: 10:30 a.m. On-site accommodation Arrive: 10 a.m. – Anytime Depart by: 10 a.m.