This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Smartly restored boat in a private farm plot 10 minutes from Kalyves
- Access to a well-equipped galley kitchen and woodburning stove
- Half an hour from Chania for ferries and the Venetian Harbour
Ahoy there – fancy being captain of your own boat, but lack the necessary sailing skills? Step aboard the Wild-de-go and no previous seafaring experience is needed – this 1920s ferry is now happily berthed in dry dock at The Olive Ranch, having retired to north-west Crete after a lifetime cruising around the coast of Cornwall.
If this handsome vessel looks familiar to eagle-eyed Brits, it’s possible you may have spied her TV appearance on George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces. During her restoration project she’s kept her old portholes and beams but acquired a well-equipped galley kitchen, a woodburning stove and a cosy sleeping area. There’s space to relax out on deck, and it’s a short dash through the adjacent bamboo to the loo and hot shower.
It’s not just the novelty of the boat itself that’s the draw here; you happen to be moored in a prime spot for using the picnic and play areas. If you want to see more of the local area, you can pile into the car for beach days at Kalyves, 10 minutes away, or historical and harbourside ambles half an hour away in Chania. Tavernas and other eateries are about 15-20 minutes' walk away in the village of Armenoi.
The boat is home to a large double bed; travelling families are welcome to co-sleep with one infant in the bed and/or set up a tent alongside for a bit of extra room.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Public transport nearby
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Cycle hire nearby
Horse riding nearby
Leisure/theme park nearby
Mountain biking nearby
Surf school nearby
Amenities on site
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Gas cylinders available
Tiny (1-10 pitches)
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Look out from your deck and you’ll see that this place is surrounded by greenery – avocado, orange and olive groves are all around, and make for a most pleasant day of pedalling. Pick your way through the trees to the Kiliaris river to spy the birds, turtles and crabs that lurk in the wetlands.
Follow the river all the way and you’ll emerge in Kalyves (or drive down in about 10 minutes). This little seaside village has a tree-lined sandy beach and plenty of little harbourside tavernas for a local lunch. The folks on site also recommend you swing by Koumos restaurant, just outside the village – as well as some cracking cuisine, the owner crafts stunning structures and sculptures from whatever’s around (pebbles, driftwood, bottles… you name it).
If it’s traditional Greek villages you’re after, head to Armenoi or Neo Chorio, both of which are roughly 10 minutes away. For something more sprawling it’s worth making the half-hour drive to Chania to wander around the city’s historic centre, visit the archaeology museum and sip a coffee (or a cocktail) by the pretty Venetian Harbour.
- Does The Olive Ranch have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is The Olive Ranch dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near The Olive Ranch? Look out from your deck and you’ll see that this place is surrounded by greenery – avocado, orange and olive groves are all around, and make for a most pleasant day of … Read more
When can I check in and check out of The Olive Ranch?
On-site accommodation Arrive: 2 p.m. – 12 a.m. Depart by: 11 a.m.