Technology obsessed nation can still get its fix on holiday, says Pitchup.com
Gru 23 2013 Opublikowany przez Samantha Marsh
While those in need of a digital detox have plenty of options too
82.7m mobile subscriptions in the UK
94% of adults own a mobile phone
75% of adults have broadband – fixed and mobile*
…while some wish they could ditch the technology completely on their next holiday
Research suggests that this Christmas is set to be the biggest ever for sales of electrical devices such as tablets, mobiles and TVs and leading retailers have over 1.7m electrical items ready for delivery.
Technology devices are now such an integral part of our daily lives that many people feel lost if they can’t access Facebook or check work emails, even for a short while. Fortunately for such people, it’s possible to be connected almost anywhere these days – even in a tent in the middle of the British countryside.
Research by American Express shows 83% of holidaymakers expect to stay digitally connected during their break, and 64% check their work email daily while on leave. Nowadays, tweeting a selfie or posting updates on Facebook so the folks back home can see what we’re up to is part and parcel of the holiday experience.
For such people, over half of all bookable sites on outdoor accommodation specialist Pitchup.com now offer wifi, and around 40% have free wifi for guests. Other sites are offering high tech features such as Sky TV, games consoles and DVD players for guests as demand reaches an all time high.
Yet, for those who want to cut their dependency on technology for their few days away, Pitchup.com also has plenty of fabulous suggestions.
Pitchup.com founder Dan Yates commented: “There was a time when people would give a quick ring home to say they’d arrived safely, then get on with their holiday. But the days of not keeping in touch with friends and family or the office have long gone.
“We have invested a lot this year into our website, app and mobile site to ensure we are meeting demand for an increase in use of tablet and mobile devices. Many of our users prefer to stay in places with wifi, TVs, DAB radio, gaming devices etc and we’re delighted this is something we can offer.
“On the other hand, we recognise the growing trend for the ‘digital detox’ and we appreciate that some holidaymakers will actively seek out pitches that are free from all technology.”
Three sites for those who can’t live without technology:
- This year Stanford Park Caravan Site has launched a luxury pod. Perfect for tech lovers the pod comes complete with a 32” flatscreen TV, SKY, Blu-ray DVD player and a PS3 with selection of games. The luxury pod sleeps up to four people with other features including antique beds, luxury shower products, kitchen area and outdoor verandah with BBQ and chiminea for users to enjoy an evening in the great outdoors. The pod is located within the grounds of Stanford Hall Estate, a beautiful country estate on the Northhamptonshire/Warwickshire border. There is a shop on site for essentials and walks and activities from the door. Pods start from just £40 per night for up to four people
- Luxury and high tech come together at Old Thorns Manor Hotel in Liphook, Hampshire where visitors can enjoy pod style accommodation within the grounds of a luxury hotel. The stylish heated pods feature TVs, electric and everything guests need for a comfortable sleep. Complimenting this are the luxury facilities of the hotel including free wifi, a sports bar, champagne bar, spa, health and fitness centre and golf course. What more could anyone wish for? All this starts at a very affordable £75 per pod per night. Pods sleep two.
- The Retreat in Shaftesbury, Dorset offers lodge style accommodation set on a lovely site which comes with a range of facilities including a fitness/spa suite and a fishing lake. The private lodges sleep up to five people in three bedrooms and are fully double glazed and centrally heated. There is a fully fitted kitchen, lounge with flatscreen TV and DVD, wifi and a private decked area outside. A great choice for families looking for a spacious, well equipped outdoor holiday experience. There is a minimum three night stay policy which costs from £279; The Retreat is open from 16 January.
For those who are searching for a ‘digital detox’:
- Pitchup.com’s guide to wild camping gives a full lowdown of the best wild camping spots, suggests five sites for wild camping and covers the legal issues of where people are allowed (and not allowed) to wild camp. Users can also browse over 90 sites with wild camping in the UK, France and Ireland, such as North Lodge in Pembrokeshire, located on an organic smallholding in a remote and beautiful part of the county. There is an off-grid and well-insulated log cabin available from £40 per night.
* Source: http://media.ofcom.org.uk/facts/
For more information visit www.pitchup.com
Cass Helstrip, Samantha Marsh or Jardine Howlett at White Tiger PR
Cass.firstname.lastname@example.org 07968 255464
Samantha.email@example.com 07711 265666
Jardine.firstname.lastname@example.org 07866 508737
Notes to editors
Founded in 2009 by former lastminute.com man, Dan Yates, multi-award winning Pitchup.com is a free guide to all types of outdoor accommodation in the UK, Ireland and France. The site provides users with a simple platform in which they can search and book an outdoor holiday with total ease. The customer experience from landing on the home page through to booking a holiday can be completed in as little as four pages. The site also goes beyond traditional searches by allowing users to search for accommodation based on more than 80 criteria, such as adults only and campfires allowed, and view nearby events, Good Pub Guide pubs and VisitBritain attractions. Users can also search on the offers page to find the best deals available. Pitchup.com features over 5,000 UK wide camping and caravanning sites/parks with France recently added into the equation. It enables users to search for all types of parks and sites from the major brands right through to one off campsites and unique outdoor accommodation options, which may not have previously had a web presence.