This park does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this park, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Secluded forest campground bordered by vineyards
- Adjoining the Hobart Wildlife Area; Scranton 10 minutes' drive
- Fire ring and firewood included; kayaks and fully stocked fishing pond
Want to get lost in nature while rolling through Iowa? It's easily done at JV Vineyard and Retreat, a quiet and secluded campground set a mile back from the nearest paved road. With wild-style sites that its owners proudly describe as primitive, 40 acres of forest to explore and modern facilities in a restored historic barn, this campground has all the makings of a mighty Midwestern getaway.
As well as the wilder parts of its grounds, JV Vineyard and Retreat has a fully-stocked fishing pond that you're welcome to explore or kayak on. And then there are all those vineyards – a scenic sight indeed, with the park's year-round gift shop selling a range of produce from its fertile fields. Need wifi, restrooms or showers? It's all available up at the barn. For off-base exploration, head over to either Hobart Wildlife Area (next to the campground) or two miles down the road to Hyde County Park, a relaxing spot on the banks of the North Raccoon river.
When it comes to settling down, the sites are all fairly remote and surrounded by nature. Firewood and fire rings are included for outdoor grilling, with food supplies on hand in stores in Scranton (10 minutes' drive), where there's a mid-sized grocery store and takeaway, and Carroll (20 minutes), where there are larger grocery stores, cafés and restaurants.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
Alas, no reviews yet. We only show the last 30 months' reviews.
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on park
Car parking by site/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Tents for hire
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
Propane/gas cylinders available
Dog walk nearby
Small (11-25 sites)
There's much to be said for just getting lost in the woods, so when you start to feel acquainted with the forested areas of the campground, set out along the North Raccoon river, where there are several scenic county parks and wildlife areas to explore. There's also Swan Lake State Park (25 minutes' drive), a popular spot south of Carroll with good fishing and boating opportunities.
You could also stick to nearby towns and cities, starting in nearby Jefferson (20 minutes), home to the impressive 168-foot-tall Mahanay Bell Tower (come to hear its carillons chime, stay for the views from its observation deck). On the edge of Jefferson there's also the Wild Rose Casino and Resort if you're in the mood for a round or two of roulette.
Elsewhere, Iowa has plenty of family-friendly activities to try. Deal's Orchard (20 minutes) has hay rides, cider, activities for the kids and (in season) an impressive pumpkin patch, while further afield in downtown Des Moines (an hour and 25 minutes) there are amusement parks, interactive museums and a sculpture park, plus the ever-popular Blank Park Zoo on the city's southern edge.
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does JV Vineyard and Retreat have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is JV Vineyard and Retreat dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near JV Vineyard and Retreat? There's much to be said for just getting lost in the woods, so when you start to feel acquainted with the forested areas of the campground, set out along the North Raccoon … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of JV Vineyard and Retreat?
RV, travel trailer and tent sites Arrive: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Depart by: 12:30 p.m.