This park does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this park, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Eco-friendly wild camping with free firepits and wood
- A couple of minutes' drive from the local village and 20 from Dumfries
- Modern amenities: individual cubicles with shower, toilet and sink
This one’s a must for mountain bikers and fans of Robert Burns alike: the Open Gate Campsite is a wild site in the wilds of Scotland, two minutes’ drive from the village of Auldgirth in the county of Dumfries and Galloway.
It’s also 20 minutes away from Dumfries and the humble sandstone house where the great Rab wrote many of his finest verses, and within an hour of three of Scotland’s acclaimed 7stanes mountain biking centres. So you can be spouting verse and skidding the slopes in a single day…
The team behind The Open Gate keep things simple and relaxed: no manicured lawns or tailored hedge partitions here, just a big wide field to set yourself up in and stretch out. If that stretching should include outdoor feasting around the flames, firepits and logs are supplied free of charge.
Continuing the wild but civilised theme, there’s a flotilla of brightly hued wheelbarrows for you to carry kitbags, cooking pots, clarinets, etc down to the field, keeping the site safely and quietly car free. A modern shower block has
individual cubicles with a hot shower, compost toilet and sink with cold running water; organic and eco-friendly shower gel is also provided.
You’ll be smelling of roses then as you roam into the village where there’s a café and a pub with hot food... If you feel like a pre-dinner ramble, The Garden of Cosmic Speculation, a 30-acre cosmology-inspired sculpture garden is a 10-minute drive or just over an hour’s walk away, but you’ll need to get your timings spot on, as it’s only open one day a year.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
Great laid back attitude and great location.
Amazing stay, beutiful area, great facilities
Would definitely recommend this site for quiet relaxing break
Amenities on park
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Propane/gas cylinders available
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
No dogs allowed
Cycle hire nearby
Mountain biking nearby
Small (11-25 sites)
- Coach stations
Dumfries: Whitesands Coach Stop
— 7.5 miles
7.5 miles Lockerbie Coach Stop — 14.1 miles
14.1 miles Moffat: Town Hall Coach Stop — 15.5 miles
- Train stations
Dumfries Rail Station
— 7.4 miles
7.4 miles Lockerbie Rail Station — 14.1 miles
14.1 miles Sanquhar Rail Station — 16.7 miles
- Ferry ports
Ayr Compass Pier
— 42.5 miles
Glasgow Prestwick International Airport
— 43.0 miles
For shops, eateries and ample opportunities for stocking up on high end and locally made knitwear, Dumfries is a 20-minute drive away.
Burns pilgrims can pay homage at the poet’s home, his statue and his mausoleum, and take refreshment at his favourite inns, The Hole I’ the Wa’ and The Globe, while walking the five-mile Burns Trail. For trails of the mountain biking kind, the rough country 7stanes courses of Mabie and Dalbeattie are half an hour away and it’s an hour to the Forest of Ae.
If you’re in search of walks and wildlife, take a trip to Talnotry in Galloway Forest Park, combining rambles with meeting the herds on the Red Deer Range and Wild Goat Park, an hour from base. Also an hour away, various paths around the Grey Mare’s Tail Nature Reserve are where you can meet feral goats, spot kestrels and eagles, and stop off at Britain’s fifth-highest waterfall.
Seeking further watery exploits? It's just under an hour to Loch Ken and the Galloway Activity Centre where you can combine laser tag and archery with windsurfing, kayaking and waterslides, then finish off with zipwire rides at height.
- Robert Burns Centre (7.5 miles)
- John Paul Jones Cottage Museum & Visitor Centre (19.1 miles)
- World Famous Old Blacksmith's Shop Centre (27.6 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
- Does Open Gate Campsite have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Open Gate Campsite dog friendly? No View all features
- What attractions are near Open Gate Campsite? For shops, eateries and ample opportunities for stocking up on high end and locally made knitwear, Dumfries is a 20-minute drive away. Burns pilgrims can pay homage at the poet’s home, his ... Read more
When can I check in and check out of Open Gate Campsite?
RV, trailer and tent sites Arrive: Anytime – 8 p.m. Depart by: Anytime