- Peaceful countryside site in a central Isle of Wight location
- A 20-minute drive from beaches, Osborne House and the zoo
- Linked to a traditional pub with meals, beer garden and play area
The Chequers Inn has caravan pitches in a peaceful Isle of Wight spot, just a few minutes’ stroll from the country pub of the same name a couple of minutes’ drive from the village of Rookley.
The surroundings here are full-on countryside, with plenty of walking and bike routes nearby for your rural wanders (and a bus stop half an hour’s walk away if you’d like to roam a little further). The handy location pretty much in the centre of the island is great for getting out and about to all the top attractions too: beaches, the zoo, Carisbrooke Castle and Osborne House are all within a 20-minute drive.
Roam as far and wide as you wish, safe in the knowledge that eats and drinks will await back at base. The inn itself is a proper traditional pub that serves up breakfasts, lunches and dinners along with local ales and cool drinks. There’s a big beer garden outside for fine days, and a sizeable play area where the kids can scamper about while you sip your pint. Food can be delivered to your pitch if you’ve run out of steam and fancy an easy night in.
Facilities for the pitches include a water supply, compost toilet and waste disposal area; guests can also use the pub facilities during opening hours. It’s a laidback place that’s happy to welcome families and dogs, and allows campfires and barbecues.
Tents are not accepted at this park.
This park has no on-site shower facilities.
Guests are advised to bring a good quality torch with them as parts of the site are unlit.
The games room is closed due to restrictions imposed by the coronavirus outbreak.
Minimum spacing of 5 metres between pitches.
Reception is unmanned after 10 p.m.. Please inform the park while on your way there should you expect to arrive after this time so that the team can provide information about your unit/site.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
Good small site next to a great pub
Must try harder
Check-in: one group at a time
Digital food/drink menus
Extra spacing in seated areas
Hand sanitizing stations
Meal delivery to unit/pitch/outdoor seated area
More frequent emptying of bins
One-way flow for entering/leaving buildings
Shared spaces: daily deep cleaning
Shared spaces: more frequent cleaning
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on park
Car parking by site/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Propane/gas cylinders available
Convenience store nearby
Dog walk nearby
Nearby farmers' market
Public transportation nearby
Small (11-25 sites)
Cycle hire nearby
Horseback riding nearby
Indoor pool nearby
Leisure/theme park nearby
Mountain biking nearby
Outdoor pool nearby
Surf school nearby
Touring and motorhomes
- Coach stations
Southsea: Clarence Pier Coach Stop
— 20.1 kilometres
20.1 kilometres Portsmouth: The Hard Interchange — 20.9 kilometres
20.9 kilometres Portsmouth: Southsea Coach Stop — 21.3 kilometres
- Train stations
Shanklin Rail Station
— 7.1 kilometres
7.1 kilometres Lake (Isle of Wight) Rail Station — 8.0 kilometres
8.0 kilometres Sandown Rail Station — 8.4 kilometres
- Ferry ports
Fishbourne IOW Ferry Terminal
— 10.8 kilometres
10.8 kilometres East Cowes Floating Bridge — 12.5 kilometres
12.5 kilometres West Cowes Floating Bridge — 12.6 kilometres
— 34.4 kilometres
34.4 kilometres Bournemouth International Airport — 41.7 kilometres
Attractions and activities nearby include:
- Blackgang Chine: 10 minutes
- Carisbrooke Castle: 10 minutes
- Robin Hill (country park with falconry displays and train rides): 10 minutes
- Isle of Wight Donkey Sanctuary: 10 minutes
- Isle of Wight Steam Railway: 15 minutes
- Ventnor beach: 15 minutes
- Osborne House: 20 minutes
- Isle of Wight Zoo: 20 minutes
- The Needles: half an hour.
- Carisbrooke Castle (5.3 kilometres)
- Blackgang Chine (6.6 kilometres)
- Ventnor Botanic Gardens (7.0 kilometres)
- Brighstone Shop and Museum (8.3 kilometres)
- Mottistone Manor Garden (10.0 kilometres)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
Permitted arrival/departure time
|Camping and touring|
|Arrive:||11:30 a.m. –||10 p.m.|
|Depart by:||11 a.m.|
As check-in is at the pub, during busier periods throughout the day it is recommended that you pitch up first then come to pay between 3pm - 5pm when the pub is quieter.
The Chequers Inn cancellation policy
Balance refunds: no penalties
The park is not liable for any refund in the event of force majeure.
Bookings cannot be amended within 1 day(s) of arrival.
No refunds/discounts for inclement weather, late arrivals or early departures.
If you need to cancel or amend your booking, please give as much notice as possible so that someone else has the chance to book. You may wish to buy holiday insurance for cancellations and for your property/injury whilst away.
Please note that your deposit is paid to Pitchup.com and is non-refundable.
Deposit transferable during COVID-19.
The remainder is payable on arrival.
Payment methods accepted on the parkCash
Terms and conditionsSite booking terms and conditions
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does The Chequers Inn have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is The Chequers Inn dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near The Chequers Inn? Attractions and activities nearby include: - Blackgang Chine: 10 minutes - Carisbrooke Castle: 10 minutes - Robin Hill (country park with falconry displays and train rides): 10 minutes - Isle of Wight … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of The Chequers Inn?
Camping and touring Arrive: 11:30 a.m. – 10 p.m. Depart by: 11 a.m.
As check-in is at the pub, during busier periods throughout the day it is recommended that you pitch up first then come to pay between 3pm - 5pm when the pub is quieter.Read more