This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Gretna country park with fly fishing and clay pigeon shooting
- Over 100 acres with three fishing ponds: rods available on site
- Shooting tuition, shop and café
Found a great catch or fancy a shotgun wedding? Sorted: this fab shooting and fishing site’s 10 minutes from Gretna Green.
Spread over 100 acres of grounds in the Dumfries and Galloway countryside, Westlands Country Park combines outdoor activities with fine natural surrounds: there are three fishing ponds here for starters, with some whoppers weighing in at 12lb (catch and release or keep a few to barbecue for supper). Rods are available on site and tackle shops are a 25-minute drive away in Carlisle.
You won’t find the clay pigeons as tasty as the trout but the shooting’s a lark, with the faux-birds being launched from a 140-foot tower. Novices can book a session with an instructor, but if you’ve got a shotgun licence you can hone your skills with some tuition or just head for the traps (booking essential).
The site has a café serving hot food from 9am and a small shop for basics… it’s hungry work all that shootin’ and fishin’, after all… And even if you’re not planning any nuptials, Gretna has pubs, eateries and supermarkets for stocking up.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Would come back again
So good we have booked again for new year.
Great site clean facilities
Pitches a bit close together, tent near back of our motorhome, okay.
good location - with level pitches
Brilliant campsite and lovely facilities.
Well arranged site with nice staff and facilities.
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Lake and/or mountain
Gas cylinders available
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Medium (26-50 pitches)
Touring and motorhomes
Drainage hook-up points for tourers
Motorhome service point
Water hook-up points for tourers
- Coach stations
Annan: Market Square Coach Stop
— 4.4 miles
4.4 miles Longtown (Cumbria) Graham Arms Coach Stop — 7.5 miles
7.5 miles Canonbie: Cross Keys Coach Stop — 9.4 miles
- Train stations
Gretna Green Rail Station
— 3.8 miles
3.8 miles Annan Rail Station — 4.5 miles
4.5 miles Lockerbie Rail Station — 11.0 miles
- Ferry ports
Leaplish Ferry Landing
— 27.6 miles
27.6 miles Nichol End (Derwentwater) Ferry Landing — 28.6 miles
28.6 miles Keswick Ferry Landing — 28.7 miles
Newcastle International Airport
— 57.6 miles
You don’t have to confine your fishing to the ponds: head to Port Carlisle (35 minutes) for sea fishing from the Solway estuary banks, or 55 minutes to Bassenthwaite in the Lake District.
Closer to home, Westlands is a 10-minute drive from Annandale Distillery for those who care to celebrate their fishing or shooting prowess with a single malt: tours are available every day and the distillery also has a café serving afternoon teas and regional food including haggis, plus Scottish and local craft beers and ciders… and a fine selection of whisky, of course.
It’s a 40-minute trip to Bowness-on-Solway, at the tip of the Solway Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty; walk the Hadrian’s Wall Trail all 73 miles to Tyneside if you fancy it, or march a shorter section and picnic on the walls like legionaries did.
Some fine family-friendly walks start from Burgh-by-Sands (35 minutes) and Silloth (50 minutes), taking in the (alleged) resting place of Edward I, Hammer of the Scots, and the wildlife of the wetlands; various do-in-a-day bike routes start from Carlisle, Kirkbride (35 minutes) and Silloth to see the region from the saddle.
If you’re seeking more pulse-racing stuff, try flyboating nine metres over the water or jetskiing at Wetjets in Dumfries (25 minutes).
- World Famous Old Blacksmith's Shop Centre (3.9 miles)
- Carlisle Castle (11.6 miles)
- Robert Burns Centre (18.6 miles)
- Wordsworth House and Garden (25.3 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does Westlands Country Park have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Westlands Country Park dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Westlands Country Park? You don’t have to confine your fishing to the ponds: head to Port Carlisle (35 minutes) for sea fishing from the Solway estuary banks, or 55 minutes to Bassenthwaite in the Lake … Read more
When can I check in and check out of Westlands Country Park?
Camping and touring Arrive: noon – 5 p.m. Depart by: 11 a.m.