This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Wild camping in a scenic Suffolk orchard and wildlife haven
- A mile from the local village and 15 minutes drive from Stowmarket
- Three acres of space and only a few pitches allowed
Pitch up among apple trees at the pretty Suffolk site of Stone House, set in an orchard a mile from the village of Mendlesham. Only a handful of pitches are on this three-acre wild camping site, so there’s plenty of room to spread out, laze under the fruit trees and spot the many species of wildlife living among them.
Stone House is 15 minutes drive from Stowmarket and within easy access to the A14, Bury St Edmunds and Ipswich. Norwich is 45 minutes drive away. If you’re arriving by car, parking isn’t allowed next to pitches but is available on the site driveway a few metres away.
The site has a toilet and cold running water. Barbecues are allowed: source supplies at the small shop in Mendlesham or at Stowmarket … or opt for fish and chips in the village or a stroll across the fields to the local and much recommended vegetarian restaurant.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
5* peaceful rural campsite.
Liked that it was in the hosts back garden and …
Loved the orchard surrounds, trees for the children to climb …
Friendly hosts with lovely pitches and ample space.
Capacity reduced to increase social distancing
Check-in: self check-in (unattended)
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
No dogs allowed
Gas cylinders available
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Tiny (1-10 pitches)
Cycle hire nearby
Indoor pool nearby
- Coach stations
Stowmarket: Bury St Coach Stop
— 6.3 miles
6.3 miles Diss Bus Station — 8.2 miles
8.2 miles Stanton (Suffolk): Old Bury Road Coach Stop — 10.4 miles
- Train stations
Stowmarket Rail Station
— 6.1 miles
6.1 miles Needham Market Rail Station — 7.3 miles
7.3 miles Elmswell Rail Station — 7.9 miles
- Ferry ports
Shotley Point Marina Ferry Landing
— 22.0 miles
22.0 miles Shotley Point Marina Ferry Landing — 22.0 miles
22.0 miles Felixstowe for Bawdsey Ferry Landing — 22.3 miles
Norwich International Airport
— 29.6 miles
Local attractions and activities include:
- Thornham Estate (scenic walks, a play area and a café): 10 minutes’ drive
- watersports, cycling and walking at Alton Water reservoir: 35 minutes
- Norwich: 45 minutes
- Beccles and the Broads: 45 minutes
- Suffolk coastal towns Southwold, Dunwich and Aldeburgh: all within an hour.
- Bressingham Steam and Gardens (9.0 miles)
- Framlingham Castle (10.8 miles)
- Banham Zoo (13.5 miles)
- Sutton Hoo (15.2 miles)
- Theatre Royal, Bury St Edmunds (16.2 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
- Does Stone House have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Stone House dog friendly? No View all features
- What attractions are near Stone House? Local attractions and activities include: - Thornham Estate (scenic walks, a play area and a café): 10 minutes’ drive - watersports, cycling and walking at Alton Water reservoir: 35 minutes - Norwich: … Read more
When can I check in and check out of Stone House?
Camping and touring Arrive: noon – 8 p.m. Depart by: 9:30 a.m. On-site accommodation Arrive: 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Depart by: 10 a.m.