Lodge holidays and cabin holidays
Love lodges? Us too. Much as we enjoy traditional canvas camping - it's certainly very easy to pack your home into the car boot - wooden walls and glamorous getaways are very much our bag too. We don't think it's lazy at all to arrive at a campsite or holiday park with your home away from home already there for you - the word we'd use is probably 'ingenious'. We'd add 'warm' too.
Lodges have shot up in popularity over the past few years from when they were mainly only available as log cabins in Scotland, and the facilities in many of them rival the best ski chalets, with iPod docking stations, plasma TVs, central heating and double glazing.
As they're sturdy and heated, lodges can be hired at any time of the year including Christmas and the New Year - see our open all year lodge parks here. There's no problem with cooking in the bigger lodges either as many of them come fully kitted out with kitchen kit - although if you can't be bothered self-catering we have plenty of lodge parks with a restaurant or café on site, and you can also check the 'Local Attractions' tab of your listing to see Good Pub Guide pubs within an easy lurch.
Our lodge listings include camping pods as well as lodges, cabins and huts: read our separate guide to camping pods here. We have loads of lodge parks in the UK and Europe: here are our tips on finding lodge holidays:
- Get away from it all by looking for a lodge in a remote location - such as forest lodges, lodges in wild camping sites or lodge parks listed as peaceful - use one or more of the 'Themes' filters on the left to find the location you want. The sustainable site North Lodge in Pembrokeshire, for example, is listed as in a walkers' paradise, peaceful, in a wildlife haven and with spectacular scenery: it's open all year round and has a log cabin sleeping up to five from £40 a night.
- On a budget? Lodge and log cabin holidays are often surprisingly cheap, especially when there are a few of you sharing one pitch price. To find wallet-friendly sites, go to the main lodges page, add your dates on the left, then select 'Price (low to high)' from the drop-down bar on the right. Or search for our lodge sites listed as budget/backpacker - a four-berth camping hut at Woodland Park Camping Huts in Shropshire starts from £40.
- While we wouldn't blame you for a second for staying lodged in your lodge on holiday, you can also look for lodge parks according to the leisure on site and nearby - such as lodge parks with fishing or an indoor pool on site, or with golf, horse-riding, watersports or climbing nearby.
- No to being active? We have lodge parks with a hot tub, bar or clubhouse on site or a play area for the kids.
Top lodge and log cabin parks
- St Tinney Farm: A four-star site in rural Cornwall, with a David Bellamy Gold Award for Conservation, five coarse fishing lakes and a heated outdoor pool. A two and three-bedroom lodge starts from £99 a night, sleeping up to four, and a three-bedroom from £110. Also in Cornwall, Hedgerow Huts near Liskeard has three huts with views over the Looe Valley, starting from £40 for two people.
- Loch Tay Highland Lodges and Braidhaugh Holiday Park, both in Perthshire, are sister parks with salmon and trout fishing on site, spectacular scenery and dogs allowed all year round; Loch Tay is also one of our luxury lodge sites. Woodland cabins at Loch Tay start from £80 a night sleeping two, and a camping pod at Braidhaugh starts from £39.
- Dalesbridge: Ensuite North Yorkshire bunkhouses in the Three Peaks area of the Yorkshire Dales National Park and adjacent to the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Dogs are allowed. The four-berth bunkhouse starts from £72.
- King's Lynn Caravan and Camping Park: A five-star Norfolk site on ten acres of parkland on the outskirts of King’s Lynn and with good disabled facilities. The three-bedroom eco lodge on site sleeps up to six, has outside decking and allows dogs. The lodge starts from £300 for three nights from Fridays or four nights from Mondays. There's also a heated camping pod available sleeping up to four from £40.
- Castlewood Vacances: Two-bedroom forest chalets in a wood at the foot of the Castle of Biron in Dordogne, Aquitaine, fully equipped with beds made up and one of the two bedrooms on a mezzanine floor. Chalets sleep up to six and start from £77.98 for a minimum two-night stay.
- Camping Los Llanos: A lodge holiday in Alicante, near a Spanish beach? All year round? Si, por favor. The one-bedroom cabins at Camping Los Lanos have ensuite loo, shower, kitchenette, freezer and veranfah, and starts from £28 - £42.87 a night for two to four adults; two-bedroom cabins sleeping up to five are also available from £47.93 a night.
Find lodge holidays and log cabin breaks by area:
First written Nov 2011; updated Sept 2014.