This campground/park does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Kalahari Desert safaris, 15 minutes' drive from Ghanzi
- Horseback safaris, game drives and San people meetings all available
- Braais, communal firepits and wildlife viewing towers
Just... wow. You'll surely want to bag a stay for as long as possible at Grassland Bushman Lodge in the middle of the Kalahari Desert. There's the wildlife watching first of all – around the park's own waterhole, from its viewing towers or on an adventure all around – and then there's all the local lore and learning to soak up from the area's bushmen... book at least a couple of weeks.
The bushmen are the San people, descended from the first inhabitants of the region now making up Botswana and South Africa; as indigenous hunter-gatherers, they know pretty much everything about the local landscape, from making medicines to finding food. Grassland has a long association with the San (owner Willie grew up in this region and is so well acquainted with the San people that he speaks two of their languages fluently), so guests can go along to meet the San and learn about how they live.
San trips are one of the four main activities run by the site: guests can join in with game rides in the mornings and afternoons, or – just fab – go out on a horseback safari instead. There's also the option to get involved with the Grassland Predator Project, a rescue programme for lions, leopards and wild dogs at risk of being hunted. In the evenings, there are braais and communal firepits at all the accommodation areas, for flaming good times long into the night.
Grassland is in the Ghanzi District, 15 minutes' drive from Ghanzi town. It's well shaded, with running water, toilets and showers, and a boiler for warm water, using wood sourced on site.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
Alas, no reviews yet. We only show the last 30 months' reviews.
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on park
Car parking by site/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
No dogs allowed
Electric car charging point(s)
Propane/gas cylinders available
Dog walk nearby
Tiny (1-10 sites)
Horseback riding nearby
A meeting with the local San people will have you seeing how thye hunt, make fire, make medicine and pass the time. Fortunate souls might also see a ceremonial dance take place after a storytelling session.
Local town Ghanzi, nicknamed the Kalahari capital, has shops and restaurants as well as a Kuru, the small shops of the region selling San bushmen crafts to raise money for the San people. Another Kuru is at Daku, 30 minutes away.
- Does Grassland Bushman Lodge have a swimming pool? Yes View all features
- Is Grassland Bushman Lodge dog friendly? No View all features
- What attractions are near Grassland Bushman Lodge? A meeting with the local San people will have you seeing how thye hunt, make fire, make medicine and pass the time. Fortunate souls might also see a ceremonial dance take place … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of Grassland Bushman Lodge?
Camping and caravan Arrive: 2 p.m. – Anytime Depart by: noon On-site accommodation Arrive: 3 p.m. – Anytime Depart by: 11 a.m.