This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Off-grid eco retreat six and a half kilometres from De Rust
- Set in the Klein Karoo area with spectacular views
- Outdoor pool and modern shower and toilet block
A fan of the slow life? Make like its namesake and wind down gently at The Travelling Tortoise, an off-grid eco retreat six and a half kilometres from the village of De Rust in the Western Cape.
Nature fans are going to love this one: the retreat is in the Klein Karoo area of grassland and semi-desert, with the green pastures of the Middelplaas valley in front, the spectacular Red Stone Hills to the right and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Swartberg mountains behind. The area's also a wildlife and nature haven, where tortoises, hares, small game and colourful birds are frequently spotted around the site and among the surrounding bush made up of cacti, succulent plants and pink fynbos shrubland. The Travelling Tortoise is a level site at the foot of the mountains, with a short hike winding upwards for scenic views.
The pool is a good size for essential dips on hot South African days. Evenings can be spent in the blazing light of a campfire or huddled around the barbecue having a good old chinwag. And all this hot weather is sure to help you drum up an appetite… handily, De Rust has plenty of restaurants to pick from and Oudtshoorn is another good spot for grabbing a bite to eat.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
From the manager...
Thank you for your visit.
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on park
Car parking by site/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Propane/gas cylinders available
Dog walk nearby
Small (11-25 sites)
Horseback riding nearby
Mountain biking nearby
Crazy about hiking? The Meiringspoort Pass – a cliff-lined path connecting the Little Karoo and the Great Karoo – is only a 20-minute drive away. If you’ve worked up a bit of a sweat you can also take a dip at the popular Meiringspoort Waterfall (25 minutes).
No South African trip would be complete without visiting an ostrich farm, and luckily Oudtshoorn (50 minutes from the site) is considered the ostrich capital of the world. You can feed the birds and take a guided tour from a tractor-pulled trailer before stopping off for a meal or a drink at the café and restaurant.
Cango Wildlife Ranch in Oudtshoorn has over 90 different species of animals and they're so well treated here that the ranch has been duly accredited; share some snap-worthy experiences here, such as meeting a cheetah and cage diving with crocodiles. The Cango Caves – still in the city but a little further out – turns any stalag-mights into stalag-definites, with its vast halls and illuminated dripstone caverns.
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does The Travelling Tortoise have a swimming pool? Yes View all features
- Is The Travelling Tortoise dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near The Travelling Tortoise? Crazy about hiking? The Meiringspoort Pass – a cliff-lined path connecting the Little Karoo and the Great Karoo – is only a 20-minute drive away. If you’ve worked up a bit of … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of The Travelling Tortoise?
Camping and touring Arrive: Anytime – Anytime Depart by: Anytime