This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
- Dog-friendly site in a native forest on Lake Manapouri
- A 10-minute walk to the beach and the harbour for boat trips
- Convenient hiking base; trout fishing available on site
Possum Lodge is what the owners call ‘a classic Kiwi site’. Small, safe, clean and friendly, it’s set in a native forest, which is very quiet… aside from the birds’ dawn chorus, of course. And with the site being based next to gorgeous Lake Manapouri in Southland’s Fiordland National Park, sublime scenery is a given.
There are strolls through thickets of beech trees along the adjacent lower Waiau River, plus excellent trout fishing; alternatively, you can wander through the forest to the sandy lake shores, only around 10 minutes’ walk away.
Another 10-minute walk will get you to the Pearl Harbour Manapouri boat ramp. From here, there’s a water taxi that runs in high season to transport you to the trailhead for the nearly nine-kilometre Manapouri Circle Track around the forest and the lakeshore. The RealNZ - Doubtful Sound Manapouri Visitor Centre is only a few minutes’ walk from the harbour and runs lake cruises and wildlife watching for dolphins and fur seals.
Possum Lodge is also convenient for a number of other great New Zealand trails, such as the Kepler Track (around 10 to 15 minutes’ drive) past beech forests, mountains and glaciers, the Milford Track and the Routeburn Track.
On site, the facilities include shower, toilet and launderette access. There’s a place to eat within walking distance, but for grocery supplies you should head to Te Anau (20 minutes).
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
|Reviews in other languages appear below.|
Beheerder ivm uitleg etc
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on park
Car parking by site/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Lake and/or mountain
Electric car charging point(s)
Propane/gas cylinders available
Convenience store nearby
Dog walk nearby
Small (11-25 sites)
Mountain biking nearby
The marshes of Rakatu Wetlands (15 minutes’ drive) spread over a whopping 278 hectares. Nine kilometres of walking tracks snake through the area, allowing sightings of the wading birds that call these waters home, including mallard ducks, Canada geese and black swans, plus fishes like long-finned eels.
If you’re after feathered creatures specific to New Zealand, head to Punanga Manu o Te Anau / Te Anau Bird Sanctuary (15 minutes), home to a range of native (and largely endangered) birds that you might not be able to spot in the wild, like the flightless takahē and the parrot-like kākā.
Ready for a cruise with a difference? Instead of sailing on the lake or the river, you can book a spot on one of the vessels exploring the underground stream leading to Te Anau Glowworm Caves (15 minutes). Sail past a subterranean waterfall, limestone passages and whirlpools to a quiet grotto shimmering with glowworms.
Permitted arrival/departure time
|Camping and touring|
|Arrive:||2 p.m. –||9 p.m.|
|Depart by:||10 a.m.|
|Arrive:||2 p.m. –||9 p.m.|
|Depart by:||10 a.m.|
Possum Lodge cancellation policy
Balance refunds: no penalties
If you need to cancel or amend your booking, please give as much notice as possible so that someone else has the chance to book. You may wish to buy holiday insurance for cancellations and for your property/injury whilst away.
Please note that your deposit is paid to Pitchup.com and is non-refundable.
A 15% non-refundable deposit is payable now.
The remainder is payable direct to Possum Lodge on arrival.
Payment methods accepted on the parkBank transfer
Terms and conditionsSite booking terms and conditions
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does Possum Lodge have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Possum Lodge dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Possum Lodge? The marshes of Rakatu Wetlands (15 minutes’ drive) spread over a whopping 278 hectares. Nine kilometres of walking tracks snake through the area, allowing sightings of the wading birds that call these … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of Possum Lodge?
Camping and touring Arrive: 2 p.m. – 9 p.m. Depart by: 10 a.m. On-site accommodation Arrive: 2 p.m. – 9 p.m. Depart by: 10 a.m.