Why not enter some details and get an accurate price?
- Spectacularly scenic site on the shores of Lake Malawi
- Lakeside pitches among stunning sunrises
- Campfires and barbecues allowed
What do clever peeps do upon arrival at King's Highway Rest Camp? They do what the site team sensibly recommends: pitch their tent/park their wheels as speedily as poss, kick off their shoes, and run down to the beach. Which should take them... all of a minute, as the camp is on the shores of lush Lake Malawi.
All pitches come with lake views, all the better to wake up to spectacular sunrises (see pics) over the glistening water and to idle around in the afternoon to see the local fishermen arrive home with their haul... Campfires and barbecues are allowed: fish straight from the site to land your own catch, or make for the local market to buy fish caught that day.
Amenities here are first-rate (again, see pics) and include toilets and hot showers as well as a covered outdoor washing-up area. Local town Chitimba is a kilometre's stroll away for supplies.
Under 18s must be accompanied by their parents or legal guardians.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
Electric grass pitch (lake view)
Based on a 2 night stay for 2 adultsAvailability by arrival day (British Pound (£), extras not included) (Euro (€), extras not included) (Australian Dollar (A$), extras not included) (US Dollar (US$), extras not included) (Canadian Dollar (CA$), extras not included) (Swiss Franc (CHF), extras not included) (Swedish Krona (SEK), extras not included) (Danish Krone (DKK), extras not included) (Norwegian Krone (NOK), extras not included) (Icelandic Króna (ISK), extras not included) (Argentine Peso (ARS), extras not included) (Chilean Peso (CLP), extras not included) (Peruvian Sol (PEN), extras not included) (New Zealand Dollar (NZ$), extras not included) (South African Rand (R), extras not included) (Polish Zloty (PLN), extras not included) (Brazilian Real (R$), extras not included) (Czech Koruna (CZK), extras not included) (Serbian Dinar (RSD), extras not included) (Hungarian Forint (HUF), extras not included) (Russian Rouble (RUB), extras not included) (Chinese Yuan (CN¥), extras not included)
Alas, no reviews yet. We only show the last 30 months' reviews.
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on park
Car parking by site/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Lake and/or mountain
Electric car charging point(s)
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Propane/gas cylinders available
Dog walk nearby
Tiny (1-10 sites)
If you haven't been to Lake Malawi before, etch it firmly onto your bucket list: it's one of Africa's Great Lakes and the ninth biggest lake in the world. It's been a popular fishing spot for humans for millennia; if fishing isn't your thing, look out for Nile crocodiles and hippopotamuses wallowing in the shallows, and African fish eagles swooping down onto the water (the lake has more species of fish than anywhere else on the planet).
Moving on from the camp, it's an hour and a half's drive to the Rumphi District's capital town of Rumphi and its lively markets, and eight and a half hours down the lake's shores to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Lake Malawi National Park – should you be so fortunate to be on an extended trip.
Permitted arrival/departure time
|Camping and touring|
King's Highway Rest Camp cancellation policy
Balance refunds: no penalties
If you need to cancel or amend your booking, please give as much notice as possible so that someone else has the chance to book. You may wish to buy holiday insurance for cancellations and for your property/injury whilst away.
Please note that your deposit is paid to Pitchup.com and is non-refundable.
Deposit transferable during COVID-19.
The remainder is payable on arrival.
Payment methods accepted on the parkCash
Terms and conditionsSite booking terms and conditions
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does King's Highway Rest Camp have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is King's Highway Rest Camp dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near King's Highway Rest Camp? If you haven't been to Lake Malawi before, etch it firmly onto your bucket list: it's one of Africa's Great Lakes and the ninth biggest lake in the world. It's been a … Read more
When can I check in and check out of King's Highway Rest Camp?
Camping and touring Arrive: Anytime – Anytime Depart by: Anytime
- How much does it cost to stay at King's Highway Rest Camp? From R140,63 (for 1 night, 2 adults) - prices may change depending on your dates and party. Check prices and availability