This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Peaceful family-run site in Devon with ancient woodlands and meadows
- A 10-minute drive from Woolacombe beach and Saunton Sands
- On-site bar/kitchen and small food shop; firepits for sale and hire
Set down somewhere among the peaceful ancient woodland and meadows… five minutes’ drive away from Ilfracombe on the outskirts of West Down, Buttercombe Meadow Campsite is a family-run streamside site in Devon with 25 acres of woodland to roam. A 10-minute drive away from Woolacombe Beach and Saunton Sands too, it’s likely you’ll want to spend a lot of time in the water (or at least on the sand) from here.
Surfing, bodyboarding, canoeing or kayaking… whichever way you choose to ride the sea, your stomach may be grumbling by the time you make it back to the site (especially if you’ve been cycling around Devon’s off-road tracks or lanes, too).
Conveniently, there’s a bar and kitchen alongside the site that sells simple food and drink, plus a small food shop on site selling local ice creams, drinks, snacks, fresh fruit and other essentials. The River Caen runs through the site if you fancy a picnic on the shore.
When you’re ready to rinse off, there are hot showers and toilets on site. And when it gets later in the evening, the site has a range of firepits for sale or hire, along with logs and kindle to get the flame going – and a large dishwashing area and outdoor kitchen facilities where you can handle food.
The site’s free car park is 50 metres away from the entrance down a safe track, so there are wheelbarrows or the site’s little tractor to help you get to and from the pitches. Or, if you’re just heading off to Ilfracombe, there’s a regular bus service outside the entrance.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
Lots of space, great people , chilled atmosphere, fire pits. …
Very helpful staff so friendly
Very Good. Be sure you book pitch at the back. Avoid burgers.
Friendly and basic site.
Friendly very helpful staff clean facilities good pitches
Lovely small Campsite in the Trees. Well set up with …
More frequent emptying of bins
Shared spaces: daily deep cleaning
Shared spaces: more frequent cleaning
We're Good To Go (VisitBritain accreditation)
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on park
Car parking by site/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Propane/gas cylinders available
Convenience store nearby
Dog walk nearby
Public transportation nearby
Medium (26-50 sites)
Cycle hire nearby
Horseback riding nearby
Indoor pool nearby
Leisure/theme park nearby
Mountain biking nearby
Outdoor pool nearby
Surf school nearby
- Coach stations
Opposite George Hotel
— 5.7 kilometres
5.7 kilometres George Hotel — 5.7 kilometres
5.7 kilometres Methodist Church — 6.0 kilometres
- Train stations
Barnstaple Rail Station
— 10.5 kilometres
10.5 kilometres Chapelton (Devon) Rail Station — 17.4 kilometres
17.4 kilometres Umberleigh Rail Station — 20.7 kilometres
- Ferry ports
Ilfracombe Ferry Landing
— 6.3 kilometres
6.3 kilometres Appledore Ferry Landing — 12.0 kilometres
12.0 kilometres Instow Ferry Landing — 12.1 kilometres
— 49.9 kilometres
Attractions and activities nearby include:
- Woolacombe beach (three-mile sandy beach with surfing, kayaking, kitesurfing and other watersports): 10 minutes' drive
- Saunton Sands (sandy beach with dunes, surfing and swimming): 10 minutes
- Croyde Bay (sandy beach with good fishing, swimming, surfing and kayaking or canoeing): 20 minutes
- Putsborough beach (sandy beach popular with surfers and longboarders): 20 minutes
- Combe Martin Wildlife & Dinosaur Park (animal experiences and playground): 20 minutes
- Exmoor Zoo: 25 minutes
- Tarka Trail (cycling route): around half an hour’s cycle
- The BIG Sheep (family-friendly rides and petting farm): 35 minutes’ drive
- Quince Honey Farm (working honey farm with tours, soft play and gardens): 40 minutes
- RHS Garden Rosemoor (23.7 kilometres)
- Arlington Court and the National Trust Carriage Museum (10.7 kilometres)
- Heddon Valley (15.9 kilometres)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
Permitted arrival/departure time
|Camping and touring|
|Arrive:||2 p.m. –||7 p.m.|
|Depart by:||10:30 a.m.|
|Arrive:||2 p.m. –||7 p.m.|
|Depart by:||10:30 a.m.|
Buttercombe Meadow Campsite cancellation policy
No refunds within 2 weeks of arrival date.
The park is not liable for any refund in the event of force majeure.
Bookings cannot be amended within 14 day(s) of arrival.
No refunds/discounts for inclement weather, late arrivals or early departures.
If you need to cancel or amend your booking, please give as much notice as possible so that someone else has the chance to book. You may wish to buy holiday insurance for cancellations and for your property/injury whilst away.
Please note that your deposit is paid to Pitchup.com and is non-refundable.
Deposit transferable during COVID-19. Buttercombe Meadow Campsite will debit the balance from your card 2 weeks before arrival, or if the arrival date is sooner than 2 weeks then the balance will be taken immediately.Deposit transferable during COVID-19. During COVID-19 you can transfer your deposit to a future stay booked within 3 months of your arrival date. Read more.
You can also opt to pay the full amount at the time of your booking.
Payment methods accepted on the parkBank transfer
Terms and conditionsSite booking terms and conditions
- Does Buttercombe Meadow Campsite have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Buttercombe Meadow Campsite dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Buttercombe Meadow Campsite? Attractions and activities nearby include: - Woolacombe beach (three-mile sandy beach with surfing, kayaking, kitesurfing and other watersports): 10 minutes' drive - Saunton Sands (sandy beach with dunes, surfing and swimming): 10 … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of Buttercombe Meadow Campsite?
Camping and touring Arrive: 2 p.m. – 7 p.m. Depart by: 10:30 a.m. On-site accommodation Arrive: 2 p.m. – 7 p.m. Depart by: 10:30 a.m.