This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Peaceful privately-owned campground with boating, fishing and canoeing
- On the shores of a private lake in Michigan's upper peninsula
- Store, live bait sales, giant outdoor movie screen and regular events
Sometimes, so the saying goes, you have to make your own luck. So give yourself a nudge in the 'cleverly chosen vacation' category with fortuitous and friendly times at Horseshoe Lake Campground and Cabins, on the shores of a private lake in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
Boat fans can take vessels of all sorts out for hours on the water – canoes, kayaks, pedalos and fishing boats are all available – and the lake's 97 scenic acres are a handy and handsome spot for waterside walks for those who prefer not to bob about in crafts. If you crave yet more water (you're on a peninsula, after all), it's only 30 minutes' drive from Horseshoe Lake to the Upper Peninsula city of Marquette and access to the huge, famed and rightly named Lake Superior, the biggest of North America's five spectacular Great Lakes. (And if you're angling for Michigan fishing around either lake, live bait is for sale from the Horseshoe team.)
Around the park and away from the water, guests can try their luck at the horseshoe pits, ramble the rural grounds, or settle down in the evening to watch a flick on the giant outdoor screen. Owners Dawn and Dave arrange regular entertainment and events for their esteemed guests too, ranging from live music or DJ nights to karaoke and communal cooking.
Horseshoe Lake Campground and Cabins is 10 minutes' drive from the Marquette County town of Gwinn, which has shops and eateries for all tastes. A well-stocked shore is on the campground.
Tourist board rating
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on park
Car parking by site/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Jumbo tent sites
Lake and/or mountain
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Propane/gas cylinders available
Convenience store nearby
Nearby farmers' market
Large (51-200 sites)
Horseback riding nearby
Mountain biking nearby
Once you've been out on the water for maximum hours and fished for panfish and largemouth bass in Horsehoe Lake, drive half an hour north east to reach mighty Lake Superior, the biggest freshwater lake in the world by surface area – and the biggest by volume in North America. There's enough angling here to keep you baited up for weeks: Lake Superior is home to over 80 slippery species including trout, bass and perch native to the lake, and salmon, rainbow trout and carp introduced over the years.
Several viewsome spots are around Lake Superior's south shore for scenic sightseeing, such as the dunes and waterfalls of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore an hour and 10 minutes' drive away. Named after its red sandstone cliffs towering 200 feet above sea level, the Lakeshore is home to caves, arches and rock formations as well as several cascades including the Munising and Sable falls.
Parks and two beaches are at Marquette half an hour away, where there's also a skateboard park, skiing trails and hiking and cycling paths.
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does Horseshoe Lake Campground and Cabins have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Horseshoe Lake Campground and Cabins dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Horseshoe Lake Campground and Cabins? Once you've been out on the water for maximum hours and fished for panfish and largemouth bass in Horsehoe Lake, drive half an hour north east to reach mighty Lake Superior, the … Read more
When can I check in and check out of Horseshoe Lake Campground and Cabins?
Camping and touring Arrive: noon – 11 p.m. Depart by: noon On-site accommodation Arrive: 2 p.m. – 11 p.m. Depart by: noon