This park does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this park, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Laidback campground on a 40-acre ranch 10 minutes' drive from Moffat
- A 10-minute drive to Crestone; several hot springs within half an hour
- Dark sky area for stargazing, with stunning mountain views
Fill your days or nights with hiking, stargazing, horse riding and off-roading with a stay at The High Desert Ranch, a 40-acre Colorado campground with easy access from the main road and the town of Moffat, 10 minutes’ drive away.
The surroundings here are pretty spectacular – it’s ranch land, state land and wildlife refuge all around, and there are mountain views of the Sangre de Cristo Range in every direction. Hiking, horse riding and off-roading trails are a few minutes away for in-depth exploring, but there are sights to be seen from the campground too: the state’s second-largest herd of elk can often be seen from the property.
Back in the 1980s this land was part of a large ranch; that ranch is still up and running but this parcel of land has now been turned into a laidback campground that welcomes families, couples, groups and dogs who’d like to explore places like the Great Sand Dunes or Gunnison National Forest. Being pretty far removed from urban centres also means this is a great dark-sky spot for stargazing.
The campground is fairly basic, with just portable toilets, wifi and a dog park on the facilities front, but the sites are spacious and there’s no problem lighting up campfires or barbecues (pick up supplies at the grocery store 10 minutes’ drive away).
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
Easy to find, plenty of spot selection, very friendly. Great …
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on park
Car parking by site/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
Propane/gas cylinders available
Convenience store nearby
Dog walk nearby
Small (11-25 sites)
Head for some hot springs and a highly relaxing dip at the Joyful Journey Hot Springs (25 minutes’ drive) or the Sand Dunes Recreation hot springs pool (25 minutes). A peaceful time is very much within reach around this area, as the spiritual centre of Crestone (10 minutes) is also close by.
If it’s creatures that you’re here to spot, then there are a few places that may be calling your name. The birdlife at the Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuge (an hour) perhaps? Animals with big gnashers, such as the gators at Colorado Gators Reptile Park (half an hour)? An extra-terrestrial vantage point, such as the UFO Watchtower (25 minutes)?
No worries about missing your hikes and natural beauty spots, because Gunnison National Forest (40 minutes) has gorgeous waterfalls, mountain landscapes and woodlands for miles, while Sangre De Cristo Wilderness (25 minutes) has hikes and horse rides that end at splendid alpine lakes.
Getting active is straightforward from the Great Sand Dunes Visitor Center (an hour) too. Test your balance by sandboarding or sand sledding down dunes, have a paddle in Medano Creek or bike the Medano Pass Road.
- Does The High Desert Ranch have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is The High Desert Ranch dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near The High Desert Ranch? Head for some hot springs and a highly relaxing dip at the Joyful Journey Hot Springs (25 minutes’ drive) or the Sand Dunes Recreation hot springs pool (25 minutes). A peaceful time … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of The High Desert Ranch?
RV, travel trailer and tent sites Arrive: 1 p.m. – Anytime Depart by: 11 a.m.
Upon entry, you will see the stop sign on the information board, which contains a park map and other useful information for you.Read more