This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Over 150 acres in the Elk Creek valley
- Fishing pond: no licence needed
- Pool, games room and museum all on site
A mere mile from Interstate 90, on the edge of the Black Hills National Forest, and well under an hour's drive to mighty Mount Rushmore lies Elk Creek Resort and Lodge, a friendly and welcoming park covering 150 acres between Rapid City and Sturgis.
Set a mile east of the interstate's Exit 46, Elk Creek is a tiptop base for outdoorsy days, with direct access to a number of hiking trails as well as local fishing and horse riding. The Sitting Bull Crystal Caverns and the world's biggest reptile collection are both nearby.
The resort is home to the Petrified Forest of the Black Hills museum and its info on the petrified forest of the Black Hills, one of the biggest outcroppings of fossilised petrified wood in the area. There's also a catch-and-release fishing pond (no licence required), and a creek running through the resort where fishing is allowed (licence required here). It's all surrounded by hills and prairies to wander in for evening strolls or finding your own private getaway at which to pitch up.
The staff have high standards of customer service and the owners have added plenty of modern facilities to keep all comfy, including a seasonal outdoor pool, a games room, a horseshoe pit and free wifi.
The modern bathrooms on site have free hot showers.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on park
Car parking by site/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Propane/gas cylinders available
Convenience store nearby
Dog walk nearby
Very large (over 200 sites)
Horseback riding nearby
Touring and motorhomes
Gray water hook-up for RVs/trailers
Get out into many an outdoor day from here, or use the resort as a base for famed attractions like Mount Rushmore and the Sitting Bull Crystal Caverns.
At the Black Hills National Forest, tackle South Dakota's highest mountain of Black Elk Peak, the highest summit in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains; the easiest and most popular route is from the trailhead at Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park.
Some spectacular caves are in this area too, including the world's sixth longest (140 miles) at Wind Cave, 10 miles from Hot Springs. Also see the Black Hills Caverns, with gem mining, tours and fossil digging, and the Jewel Cave National Monument, the third longest cave in the world.
The world's biggest mountain carving is nearby – not Mount Rushmore but the Crazy Horse Memorial, a memorial for all Native American tribes and with several museums. From here drive down to spectacular Rushmore, via the world's biggest reptile collection at the Reptile Gardens.
The Bear Country seasonal drive-through wildlife park with wolves, bears, elk and other North American animals is a short drive from Rapid City.
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does Elk Creek Resort and Lodge have a swimming pool? Yes View all features
- Is Elk Creek Resort and Lodge dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Elk Creek Resort and Lodge? Get out into many an outdoor day from here, or use the resort as a base for famed attractions like Mount Rushmore and the Sitting Bull Crystal Caverns. At the Black Hills … Read more
When can I check in and check out of Elk Creek Resort and Lodge?
Camping and touring Arrive: 1 p.m. – Anytime Depart by: noon