This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Well-maintained, small and peaceful park in the north of Iceland
- Next to the Vaglaskógur Forest and 20 minutes from Goðafoss Waterfall
- A 15-minute drive from amenities and attractions in Akureyri
A river, a waterfall, a forest, mountain views… what a stunning location has Tjaldsvæðið Systragil. This scenic site in the Fnjóskadalur valley is the domain of Kristján and Agnes, who keep sheep and tend to the woodlands at their nearby farm.
Days here can easily be filled with various rural pursuits – the Vaglaskógur Forest is just over the road for hikes on marked trails, and those with the relevant knowhow can try their luck at local fishing spots (there are several within a 15-minute drive) and/or keep an eye open for seasonal wild food foraging.
Prefer a more conventional way to acquire your meals? It may be tricky to believe from your rural outlook but it’s a mere 15-minute drive to Akureyri, Iceland’s second largest city and a good place to find restaurants and food shops. Back at base, you’re welcome to light up a barbie if the weather permits, or you can use the camp kitchen to prep and cook your dinner.
There’s also a playground on site, and those who fear the chill of the north will be chuffed to hear that there’s both hot showers and heating in the toilet block.
Open from 06/01/2021 to 09/30/2021
Tourist board rating
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
|Reviews in other languages appear below.|
Hand sanitizing stations
Individual rooms in toilet/shower/basin facilities
Shared spaces: more frequent cleaning
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on park
Car parking by site/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Lake and/or mountain
Electric car charging point(s)
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Propane/gas cylinders available
Convenience store nearby
Dog walk nearby
Public transportation nearby
Small (11-25 sites)
Outdoor pool nearby
Getting out and about into the gorgeous scenery of northern Iceland is easy here: marked hiking trails run through the Vaglaskógur Forest (a short hop across the road) and up into the hills behind the site.
A couple of golf courses are within a half-hour drive, and there are fab geothermal swimming pools at Stórutjarnir and Illugastaðir, both of which are less than 15 minutes away. Horse riding, rafting and rather chilly days of scuba diving are other options in the area.
Akureyri (15 minutes away by car) is more than just a handy hub – it’s worth spending time here visiting the museums, botanical gardens and cathedral, and heading to the harbour to join wildlife-spotting boat tours. For the big beasts, take the 45-minute drive to Húsavík instead; the town’s got a rep as the country’s best place for whale watching.
Other popular visits nearby include the spectacular Goðafoss Waterfall (20 minutes’ drive), the ancient turf houses at Laufás (25 minutes) and the volcanic hot springs around Lake Mývatn (an hour).
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does Tjaldsvæðið Systragil have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Tjaldsvæðið Systragil dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Tjaldsvæðið Systragil? Getting out and about into the gorgeous scenery of northern Iceland is easy here: marked hiking trails run through the Vaglaskógur Forest (a short hop across the road) and up into the … Read more
When can I check in and check out of Tjaldsvæðið Systragil?
Camping and touring Arrive: Anytime – Anytime Depart by: Anytime