This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Right by the Groundhog Reservoir in high country of Colorado
- Spectacular mountain views and excellent fishing at the park
- Within 10 minutes' drive of the two-million scare San Juan forest
Lake views, mountain background, wildflowers all around… just how fab are the views from Groundhog Lake RV Park and Campground? (Check pics for a vivid clue to the answer…)
The park’s lakeside setting (on the banks of Groundhog Reservoir) isn’t all about gorgeous vistas though – it also leads to some excellent angling to be had right there by your site. If the views and the fishing mean that’s you happily settled for the duration, you’ll be pleased to note that there’s a convenience store on site for food supplies, liquor and other essentials, so you’ll not have to move at all if you don’t want to. (It’s a good idea to come well stocked with supplies though, as the nearest town, Dolores, is a good hour away by car.)
If, on the other hand, the view’s got you itching to get out and see more there are plenty of mountains around to scramble up/snap pics of, and the vast San Juan National Forest (all two million acres of it) is a few miles away for hikes, mountain bike rides and more fishing surrounded by proper well-preserved wilderness.
Had a lucky day at the lake? You’re welcome to light up a campfire or barbecue to cook your catch; if you’d like to spruce up before dinner, get in early for your shower as they’re only available during store hours.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
Alas, no reviews yet. We only show the last 30 months' reviews.
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on park
Car parking by site/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Lake and/or mountain
Electric car charging point(s)
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Propane/gas cylinders available
Dog walk nearby
Medium (26-50 sites)
Mountain biking nearby
Touring and motorhomes
The natural surrounds are simply stunning, so it’s likely you’ll want to spend much time focusing on those. The San Juan National Forest (10 minutes’ drive) alone could keep you busy for many a day/week/month with all its trails, back roads, lakes and peaks (top tip for mountain bikers: head for Boggy Draw, 50 minutes from the campground, for dedicated loop trails).
More fishing can be had, along with boating, at McPhee Reservoir (an hour), and there are more trails to follow at Mesa Verde National Park (an hour and 15 minutes), this time taking in around 5,000 archaeological sites and 600 ancient cliff dwellings.
Learn a little more about the ancestral folk that once roamed this area at the Canyons Of The Ancients Visitor Center & Museum (an hour and 10 minutes), before venturing into the national monument to see the remnants of their civilisation. More recent history is documented in Dolores (an hour), once a major railroad town – these days, you can wander around a replica of the original train depot and see the restored Galloping Goose narrow-gauge railcar.
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does Groundhog Lake RV Park and Campground have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Groundhog Lake RV Park and Campground dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Groundhog Lake RV Park and Campground? The natural surrounds are simply stunning, so it’s likely you’ll want to spend much time focusing on those. The San Juan National Forest (10 minutes’ drive) alone could keep you busy for … Read more
When can I check in and check out of Groundhog Lake RV Park and Campground?
Camping and touring Arrive: 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. Depart by: 11:30 a.m.