This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Eco-friendly, off-grid site on a working lavender farm
- A 25-minute drive from Audley End; an hour's drive from London
- Pitches cut into a wildflower meadow; a mile from Finchingfield's pubs
You won’t be able to avoid stopping to smell the flowers at Finchingfield Camping (and nor will you want to) – this peaceful site is on a nine-acre working lavender farm in the Essex countryside, one and a half acres of which are given over to growing the hand-planted blooms. The remainder has been left to self-seed and now flourishes with native wildflowers, including poppies, cornflowers and wild orchids.
Cut into the grasses and meadows of this pretty place are pathways leading to the spacious marked pitches and site facilities. The owners are keen to ensure this spot is a refuge for relaxing and appreciating the simple things in life, so they’ve made it an off-grid site (although they do provide a fridge to store your fresh goodies and an area to charge mobile phones).
All around are further eco-friendly touches: recycling bins are provided for glass, food waste and cardboard, the hot showers are powered by gas, and the toilets are of the composting variety. Guests are encouraged to support local shops and cut down on plastic-wrapped goods, and you’ll be given a list of recommended local butchers and greengrocers to make this a doddle.
Perhaps you’d also like to do your bit to support the local pubs and tearooms? It’s a fine idea as there are three of each a mile away in the village – they’re rather popular, so book ahead if you’re planning an evening meal out.
Open from 07/05/2021 to 26/09/2021
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple sites.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by parks allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per site.
Amazing absolutely great experience. 10/10
Lovely site great facilities for eco/wild camping. Owners are very …
Capacity reduced to increase social distancing
Check-in: contactless (in person)
Deep cleaning of accommodation units between guests
Disinfectant sprays and wipes provided
Distance markers in shared facilities
Hand sanitizing stations
Shared spaces: daily deep cleaning
We're Good To Go (VisitBritain accreditation)
Leisure on park
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on park
Car parking by site/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Barbecue grills allowed
Commercial vehicles allowed
No dogs allowed
Electric car charging point(s)
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Propane/gas cylinders available
Convenience store nearby
Dog walk nearby
Tiny (1-10 sites)
Mountain biking nearby
- Coach stations
— 13.7 kilometres
13.7 kilometres Coach Station — 17.2 kilometres
17.2 kilometres Coach Station — 17.2 kilometres
- Train stations
Braintree Rail Station
— 13.3 kilometres
13.3 kilometres Braintree Freeport Rail Station — 14.3 kilometres
14.3 kilometres Cressing Rail Station — 16.3 kilometres
- Ferry ports
Point Clear Ferry Landing
— 43.2 kilometres
43.2 kilometres Brightlingsea Ferry Landing — 43.2 kilometres
43.2 kilometres Wallasea Island Ferry Landing — 45.9 kilometres
London Stansted Airport
— 17.3 kilometres
17.3 kilometres Cambridge Airport — 32.3 kilometres
Wholesome country activities are abundant near the site, from meeting and feeding the animals at Boydells Dairy Farm (10 minutes’ drive) to voyaging on the vintage Colne Valley Railway train line (15 minutes).
Continue with typically rural activities by trotting around the Great Notley Country Park (20 minutes), which has walking trails and a climbing forest, or amble in Audley End’s English Heritage site with its stables, gardens and miniature railway (25 minutes).
After pursuits that are a little less virtuous? Tour the English Spirit Distillery (10 minutes), a small-batch rum producer in a Grade II-listed barn in the grounds of the 200-year-old Great Yeldham Hall.
Bring a tad more history into your adventures by hightailing it to Hedingham Castle (20 minutes) next before eyeing up the handsome colleges of Cambridge (50 minutes). Once you’re done with staring at stunning buildings, wind down with a bit of punting along the River Cam.
- Audley End House and Gardens (17.3 kilometres)
- East Anglian Railway Museum (20.9 kilometres)
- Imperial War Museum Duxford (26.3 kilometres)
- Paycocke's (19.2 kilometres)
- Coggeshall Grange Barn (19.8 kilometres)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
- Does Finchingfield Camping have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Finchingfield Camping dog friendly? No View all features
- What attractions are near Finchingfield Camping? Wholesome country activities are abundant near the site, from meeting and feeding the animals at Boydells Dairy Farm (10 minutes’ drive) to voyaging on the vintage Colne Valley Railway train line (15 … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of Finchingfield Camping?
Camping and touring Arrive: 3 p.m. – 8 p.m. Depart by: 11 a.m.