This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Simple and peaceful forest site with a fishing lake
- Amusement park, zoo and activity centre within half an hour's drive
- A 20-minute drive from Dwingelderveld moorland hikes and cycle trails
Think the Netherlands are flat? You’ve obviously never heard of the Hondsrug. Hike, bike, horse ride and drive your way round this hilly region from a base at Natuurcamping Landgoed Mariahoeve, discovering stone circles, wild heaths and wet moorlands.
This simple and peaceful site is in Drenthe county, a five-minute drive from the village of Grolloo and 15 minutes from the town of Assen. It’s part of a privately owned 20-acre forest estate within Holland's only geopark, the Hondsrug.
Stretching for half an hour’s drive north and south of you, this distinctly undulating region was created 150,000 years ago when the glaciers of the Saalian Ice Age retreated, leaving behind a landscape of rivers, meadows and lakes in between the ridges, where early Europeans would later set up camp and settle.
Head to the Hunebed Centre, 10 minutes’ away in Borger, to learn about the Neolithic stone circles and burial mounds, many of which can be reached within 15 minutes' drive and are also linked by walking and cycling trails.
When you head back to base after all that time travelling, the site is full of places to stretch out in solitude, soaking up the views and the silence, or waiting for a bite on the fishing lake. If do you want some company of the furry kind, canine friends are welcome on site, and barbecues are allowed too.
If you haven’t quite foraged enough from the forests, there are shops and supermarkets in both Grolloo and Assen, as well as takeaways and restaurants.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
|Reviews in other languages appear below.|
Rewelacyjne miejsce na odpoczynek
Onduidelijke tarieven en dus ook afrekening
Vriendelijk personeel en mooie diverse plekken in het bos
Las i jezioro
Magische plek vriendelijk
Hand sanitising stations
More frequent emptying of bins
Shared spaces: daily deep cleaning
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Jumbo tent pitches
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
Dog walk nearby
Nearby farmers' market
Public transport nearby
Small (11-25 pitches)
Cycle hire nearby
Horse riding nearby
Leisure/theme park nearby
Mountain biking nearby
Outdoor pool nearby
To see more of the diverse terrain in Drenthe, take a 20-minute car trip to the Dwingelderveld, a protected reserve that represents Europe’s largest stretch of wet moorland. It’s a haven for rare plants, butterflies and birds, explorable by various routes including, for the strong of leg and heart, a 22-kilometre running trail.
Just over the German border, the Lower Saxony Wadden Sea National Park (50 minutes) beckons, with its shifting sandbanks, tidal creeks and salt marshes, visited by seals and porpoises and many species of migrating birds.
You can make like a bird yourself closer to home at the leisure base in Grolloo, combining all manner of outdoor climbing and high ropes with assault courses, paddleboarding and kayaking. Or let someone else hurtle you about instead: rides for every constitution are at Drouwenerzand Attractiepark, 15 minutes away, along with a splash zone and train ride.
If that’s not wild enough for some of you, there’s regular high-octane action on the motorsport circuit at Assen (10 minutes), the home of the Dutch TT, while a host of beasts, cute, furry, rare and ferocious are waiting to meet you at Wildlands Adventure Zoo Emmen (25 minutes).
- How much is payable upfront? A 15% transferable deposit is payable when you book, with the balance payable on arrival. Read more
- Does Natuurcamping Landgoed Mariahoeve have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Natuurcamping Landgoed Mariahoeve dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Natuurcamping Landgoed Mariahoeve? To see more of the diverse terrain in Drenthe, take a 20-minute car trip to the Dwingelderveld, a protected reserve that represents Europe’s largest stretch of wet moorland. It’s a haven for … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of Natuurcamping Landgoed Mariahoeve?
Camping and touring Arrive: 2 p.m. – 11 p.m. Depart by: 10 a.m.