This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
Find nearby sites with availability…
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
Danyfan Carriage is an old railway carriage. It’s been lovingly restored using, where possible, local materials.
It has a beautifully comfortable bed, a wood burning stove, gas hob and grill and a table and chairs. It is part painted and part original wood, with art and botanical illustrations on the walls.
The carriage is in a small wood just next to a little stream. It has views up to the mountains- the Brecon Beacons. It has a sunny deck and a little garden with a fire pit for bbqs.
A few metres from the carriage is a compost loo, a shower (with hot water), and a Belfast sink.
We leave a cool box with bacon, milk and butter. Stevie makes a loaf of his sourdough bread, I make brownies. The guests are welcome to take eggs from our three hens who share the field with the carriage.
Find nearby sites with availability…
Many sites set a maximum occupancy of 6/8 people per pitch, so try breaking your booking down into smaller groups to generate more results. For example, if you’re a group of 10, enter 5 people in your initial search and then book 2 pitches.
However, where the pitch or accommodation occupancy allows it, you can make a booking for up to 30 adults and 30 children in one booking.
To book multiple pitches or accommodation, use the 'Special requests' box on the booking page to ask to be sited together. Complete the booking form for the first booking (you can add a password and save your card so that we remember your details). Then click "Make another booking like this" at the top of the confirmation page to make the next booking.
Large groups: check the listing page for any group restrictions set out in the terms and section titled ‘Please note’.
Large tents/caravans: check the restrictions on unit dimensions to ensure your unit is suitable for the space you will be provided with.
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Gas cylinders available
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Lake and/or mountain
Cycle hire nearby
Horse riding nearby
Indoor pool nearby
Mountain biking nearby
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Nearby farmers' market
Public transport nearby
Tiny (1-10 pitches)
- Coach stations
Brecon Interchange — 2.0 miles
2.0 miles Merthyr Tydfil Bus Station — 12.4 miles
12.4 miles Tredegar: Lidl Coach Stop — 12.6 miles
- Train stations
Merthyr Tydfil Rail Station — 12.5 miles
12.5 miles Rhymney Rail Station — 12.7 miles
12.7 miles Pontlottyn Rail Station — 13.6 miles
- Ferry ports
Swansea Queens Dock Ferry Terminal — 30.6 miles
Swansea Airport — 35.7 miles
Directions By Car
If you have sat nav follow the directions based on the postcode LD3 8LG. This will take you straight to the house, although the 'you have arrived at your destination' tends to come just after the entrance to the main house. The entrance to the carriage is the next entrance on the right.
From the M4 East
- At junction 24 of the M4, take the A48/A449 exit to Newport(E)/Monmouth
- After about 12 miles take the A40 towards Abergavenny
- Follow the A40 through Abergavenny and on towards Brecon
- At the Brecon Bypass roundabout take the first exit to continue on the A40 (signposted Cardiff)
- Continue on the bypass until you reach the next roundabout, then follow the directions below
From other directions
- Take your favourite route towards Brecon, and head to the roundabout to the west of Brecon where the A40 joins the A470. From here follow the directions below
From A40/A470 roundabout to the west of Brecon
- Take the B4601 towards Brecon
- After 200m turn right up the Ffrwdgrech Rd opposite the Drovers Arms pub
- After 3/4 mile take the left fork at a 3 way junction, you will see amazing views of the mountains straight ahead. You may start to get nervous at this point as it is a very narrow country lane, but don't worry you're nearly there
- Continue up the road for 3/4 mile as it winds up the hill. You will pass some cottages, a sharp S bend and a road to your left
- You will see stone gateposts and a green gate on your right, this is the entrance to Danyfan. Keep going for another 200m and the entrance for the carriage is next on the right.
- If you come to a farm on the left called Cwmgwdi Farm you've gone about 400m too far. Turn around and Danyfan Carriage is the first entrance on the left.
Just 2 miles from Brecon, Danyfan is perfectly positioned for cycling and walking. Walk straight from the house up Pen-y-Fan and its neighbouring peaks. There is also fantastic cycling as the property is on the Taff Trail providing 55 miles of largely traffic-free roads, paths and canal towpaths. Pony trekking, clay pigeon shooting, fishing and more advanced riding can all be arranged locally. For those looking for a quieter stay there are numerous shops in Brecon as well as a cinema and some great pubs and restaurants.
- Brecon Mountain Railway (9.1 miles)
- Penderyn Distillery Visitor Centre (11.9 miles)
- National Showcaves of Wales (13.1 miles)
- Cwmmau Farmhouse (21.8 miles)
- Aberdulais Falls (22.9 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.