This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
- Family-run site on a 2000-acre working farm in the South Downs
- On the site of Bignor Roman Villa; 25 minutes' drive from Chichester
- Located in a dark sky reserve; 12-acre maize maze during August
Friends, Romans, country fans – take a look at this neat little farm site deep in the South Downs. Bignor Farms Camping at Bignor Roman Villa marries ancient history with rural views and ultra-low levels of light pollution for hols full of learning, roaming and stargazing.
The surrounding area is stonkingly scenic (these are the Downs, after all) and mightily easy to access, too – the long-distance South Downs Way is about 1.5 miles from site. Those looking to refuel while out and about will find barrowloads of welcoming country pubs on their explores; the nearest is a 25-minute stroll away.
Barbecues are welcome at Bignor Farms Camping at Bignor Roman Villa, so self-prepped grub is another option here. Fresh produce is sold on site when in season; head to Pulborough (15 minutes' drive) to pick up other bits and pieces at a well-stocked supermarket.
Amenities like portaloos and showers mean you won't have to live totally ancient-style while you're here, but don't expect luxuries like underfloor heating or a spa… unless, that is, you're planning on checking out the Roman-built versions at the museum next door. Bignor Roman Villa also has a tearoom, gift shop and picnic area that you're free to use during opening hours.
Heading to this site during August? The farm's 12-acre maize maze has pride of place here at the height of summer; kids and adults alike are encouraged to give it a go and be thoroughly bamboozled by its twists and turns…
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
View, Roman bits, friendliness of staff, cleanliness of facilities. Lovely …
From the manager...
As you say our pop up campsite is basic but is absolutely as advertised. Without ANY means of electricity on site hot water and lighting is problematic but this is stated on our listing and the information campers receive before arrival. There isn’t any electricity at the Roman Villa either - not even a little bit as I was once asked.
Great spot, clean and lots of space. Had everything needed.
Great location, basic facilities but clean & family friendly
Capacity reduced to increase social distancing
Check-in: contactless (in person)
Digital food/drink menus
Disinfectant sprays and wipes provided
Distance markers in shared facilities
Extra toilet/shower facilities available
Hand sanitising stations
Meal delivery to unit/pitch/outdoor seated area
More frequent emptying of bins
One-way flow for entering/leaving buildings
Shared spaces: daily deep cleaning
Shared spaces: more frequent cleaning
We're Good To Go (VisitBritain accreditation)
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
No drinkable water point
No hot water
No running water
Dog walk nearby
Nearby farmers' market
Public transport nearby
Small (11-25 pitches)
Horse riding nearby
Mountain biking nearby
- Coach stations
— 5.2 miles
5.2 miles Queen St — 5.2 miles
5.2 miles Anchor Springs — 8.2 miles
- Train stations
Amberley Rail Station
— 3.0 miles
3.0 miles Pulborough Rail Station — 4.2 miles
4.2 miles Arundel Rail Station — 5.6 miles
- Ferry ports
Bosham Hoe Ferry Landing
— 14.1 miles
14.1 miles West Itchenor Ferry Landing — 14.3 miles
14.3 miles Hayling Island Ferry Landing — 20.7 miles
Shoreham Brighton City Airport
— 14.7 miles
14.7 miles London Gatwick Airport North Terminal — 24.5 miles
24.5 miles London Gatwick Airport South Terminal — 24.7 miles
Local attractions and activities include:
- Bignor Roman Villa: next door
- Arundel Castle: 15 minutes' drive
- Duncton Mill Fishery: 15 minutes
- RSPB Pulborough Brooks: 20 minutes
- Chichester: 25 minutes
- Petworth House and Park: 25 minutes
- West Wittering beach: 35 minutes
- Brighton: 50 minutes
- Parham House & Gardens (4.5 miles)
- Petworth House & Park (4.6 miles)
- Arundel Castle and Gardens (5.0 miles)
- Petworth House and Park (4.5 miles)
- Uppark House and Garden (13.1 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
Permitted arrival/departure time
|Camping and touring|
|Arrive:||1 p.m. –||7 p.m.|
|Depart by:||12 p.m.|
Bignor Farms Camping at Bignor Roman Villa cancellation policy
No refunds within 1 week of arrival date.
The site is not liable for any refund in the event of force majeure.
If you need to cancel or amend your booking, please give as much notice as possible so that someone else has the chance to book. You may wish to buy holiday insurance for cancellations and for your property/injury whilst away.
Please note that your deposit is paid to Pitchup.com and is non-refundable.
Deposit transferable during COVID-19. Bignor Farms Camping at Bignor Roman Villa will debit the balance from your card 1 week before arrival, or if the arrival date is sooner than 1 week then the balance will be taken immediately.Deposit transferable during COVID-19. During COVID-19 you can transfer your deposit to a future stay booked within 3 months of your arrival date. Read more.
You can also opt to pay the full amount at the time of your booking.
Payment methods accepted on the parkAmerican Express
Terms and conditionsSite booking terms and conditions
- Does Bignor Farms Camping at Bignor Roman Villa have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Bignor Farms Camping at Bignor Roman Villa dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Bignor Farms Camping at Bignor Roman Villa? Local attractions and activities include: - Bignor Roman Villa: next door - Arundel Castle: 15 minutes' drive - Duncton Mill Fishery: 15 minutes - RSPB Pulborough Brooks: 20 minutes - Chichester: 25 … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of Bignor Farms Camping at Bignor Roman Villa?
Camping and touring Arrive: 1 p.m. – 7 p.m. Depart by: 12 p.m.