This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
- Secluded 'nearly wild' woodland camping on a Suffolk working farm
- A 10-minute drive to Clare; 20 to Lavenham or Bury St Edmunds
- Campfires permitted; walk to local pub in 45 minutes
Woodland Weekends is, in fact, not just for weekends – any day would be a good time to escape to this lovely corner of Suffolk for a ‘nearly wild’ camping break on a working farm three miles from the pretty market town of Clare.
Nearly wild? What that means in practice is a quiet, secluded spot in ancient woodland, with only a couple of small groups of guests on site at any one time (co-ordinate well and you can have the whole place to yourselves…) Your surroundings are supremely natural and peaceful and you'll need to come along well prepared with kit, but it’s not entirely wild as an experience, as you’ll have the luxury of a portaloo and a washing-up area to make life a little more comfortable.
To keep things peaceful and safe, cars can't drive into the woods, so be aware that you'll need to walk the final couple of hundred metres (wheelbarrows are on hand to help haul kit if needed).
Those woods and the surrounding countryside are the big draw here, whether you choose to sit quietly and just listen to the birds chattering in the trees or head out for walks or bike rides. If you choose the latter, have a chat with the owner for tips, ideas and maps to guide you along the best paths. A particularly fine route leads to the local pub (a classic country inn with good food and great beers) in about 45 minutes on foot.
For more food options, it’s a 10-minute drive to Clare for cafés, shops and takeaways, or you could head to Sudbury, Lavenham or Bury St Edmunds with a drive of 20 minutes or so.
To generate better results:
- Choose the 'Multiple units per pitch' filter in the search results.
- Break your booking down into smaller groups and book multiple pitches.
- Click the button ‘Make another booking like this’ on the confirmation page to easily rebook.
- Ask to be sited together in the ‘Special requests’ box on the booking form.
You can also try filtering your search by group type and by sites allowing multiple tents/caravans/motorhomes per pitch.
Amazing place to stay. Beautiful scenery and well enough room …
The secluded location and scenery tranquility
Quiet site, easy to navigate and friendly owners
brilliant semi-wild camping site - we loved it
We loved it so much we booked again for 3 weeks later.
Very happy, a very peaceful night spent in a beautiful location.
This was my second stay in this beautiful campsite. Shadowbush …
Capacity reduced to increase social distancing
Check-in: contactless (in person)
Check-in: self check-in (unattended)
Disinfectant sprays and wipes provided
Hand sanitising stations
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch/unit
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
D. of E. welcome
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Commercial vehicles allowed
Dogs allowed all year
Electric car charging point(s)
Gas cylinders available
No hot water
Dog walk nearby
Tiny (1-10 pitches)
- Coach stations
— 10.0 miles
10.0 miles Horse Racing Museum — 11.9 miles
11.9 miles Horse Racing Museum — 11.9 miles
- Train stations
Sudbury (Suffolk) Rail Station
— 8.2 miles
8.2 miles Bury St Edmunds Rail Station — 10.4 miles
10.4 miles Dullingham Rail Station — 11.4 miles
- Ferry ports
Brightlingsea Ferry Landing
— 28.3 miles
28.3 miles Point Clear Ferry Landing — 28.4 miles
— 19.2 miles
19.2 miles London Stansted Airport — 21.5 miles
As this is a rural location the postcode is not exact.
- If travelling south, about a mile after leaving Stansfield you will pass a sign for Poslingford. The turning is the next gateway on the left.
- If travelling north, pass through Poslingford (the village covers a large area so keep going through the main part of the village), heading towards Stansfield. You will see a new timber-clad house on the left. The turning is opposite that house down a farm track.
Attractions and activities nearby include:
- Clare Castle Country Park: 10 minutes’ drive
- Melford Hall (National Trust): 20 minutes
- Kentwell Hall: 20 minutes
- Ickworth House (National Trust): 20 minutes
- English Spirit Distillery: 20 minutes
- Hedingham Castle: 25 minutes
- Newmarket Racecourse: half an hour
- Linton Zoo: half an hour
- Cambridge: 50 minutes.
- Ickworth House, Park and Gardens (7.4 miles)
- Newmarket Racecourses (12.0 miles)
- The National Stud (13.1 miles)
- Melford Hall (5.8 miles)
- Ickworth House, Park and Gardens (7.4 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
- Does Woodland Weekends have a swimming pool? No View all features
- Is Woodland Weekends dog friendly? Yes View all features
- What attractions are near Woodland Weekends? Attractions and activities nearby include: - Clare Castle Country Park: 10 minutes’ drive - Melford Hall (National Trust): 20 minutes - Kentwell Hall: 20 minutes - Ickworth House (National Trust): 20 minutes … Read more
- When can I check in and check out of Woodland Weekends?
Camping and touring Arrive: 12 p.m. – 5 p.m. Depart by: 11 a.m.