This site does not currently take bookings here on Pitchup.com.
Find nearby sites with availability…
If you are the owner of this site, start taking bookings through Pitchup.com by adding your business details.
Swallowtails is in a pretty glade surrounded by woodland in the stunning grounds of Holt Hall and just a ten-minute walk from the vibrant Georgian town of Holt.
All guests and campers have the run of the Holt Hall grounds including the woodlands and the lake area with pond dipping platform and the campsite toilets and showers. There is also a washing-up hut and supplies shack for basic essentials for camping including additional firewood. Holt Hall produce their own charcoal for you to purchase for your barbecues - that's a seriously low carbon footprint!
As experienced art and environmental educators, we run a variety of kids and adult activities linking to nature and creativity. This leaves the campsite very peaceful during the day for grown ups to relax whilst we run activities and workshops in the woodlands and by the lake for the children. We also have a communal campfire in the heart of the glade giving you the opportunity to get to know your neighbours (we have a weekly pizza night at our two outdoor pizza ovens). You'll return home from your stay enriched by your experiences and recharged. We would love to welcome you to Swallowtails.
Find nearby sites with availability…
Many sites set a maximum occupancy of 6/8 people per pitch, so try breaking your booking down into smaller groups to generate more results. For example, if you’re a group of 10, enter 5 people in your initial search and then book 2 pitches.
However, where the pitch or accommodation occupancy allows it, you can make a booking for up to 30 adults and 30 children in one booking.
To book multiple pitches or accommodation, use the 'Special requests' box on the booking page to ask to be sited together. Complete the booking form for the first booking (you can add a password and save your card so that we remember your details). Then click "Make another booking like this" at the top of the confirmation page to make the next booking.
Large groups: check the listing page for any group restrictions set out in the terms and section titled ‘Please note’.
Large tents/caravans: check the restrictions on unit dimensions to ensure your unit is suitable for the space you will be provided with.
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Tents for hire
Gas cylinders available
Commercial vehicles allowed
Cycle hire nearby
Horse riding nearby
Indoor pool nearby
Leisure/theme park nearby
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Public transport nearby
Small (11-25 pitches)
- Coach stations
Hockering: The Street Victoria Coach Stop — 16.6 miles
16.6 miles Dereham: Eckling Grange Coach Stop — 17.1 miles
17.1 miles Dereham: Market Place Coach Stop — 17.3 miles
- Train stations
Sheringham Rail Station — 5.3 miles
5.3 miles West Runton Rail Station — 6.6 miles
6.6 miles Cromer Rail Station — 8.5 miles
- Ferry ports
King's Lynn Ferry Landing — 31.3 miles
Norwich International Airport — 18.7 miles
Holt Hall Field is situated 1 mile north of Holt in north Norfolk and can only be accessed via Kelling Road from Holt. Holt itself can be reached from the west along the A148, and from the south via Norwich and the B1149.
Swallowtails ticks all the boxes for the perfect camping holiday. We are just a couple of miles from the beautiful north Norfolk coastline and are just on the outskirts of the charming and vibrant town of Holt. Holt has many gastro pubs and an array of galleries, antique shops, gift shops, clothes shops and the well-known food hall, Bakers and Larners, which provides plenty to do on the days you are not on the beach.
The best places for food and drink:
- Byfords is part of the fabric of Holt and offers everything from tea and cake through to three-course meals served all day and into the evening, along with freshly baked bread and a delicatessen. Open seven days a week, Byfords is located in what is thought to be the oldest building in Holt and is definitely worth a visit.
- The Watermark Wine Bar & Restaurant is in the heart of Holt and has been recently refurbished and serves varied and locally sourced food throughout the day, whilst also offering the chance to have a glass of wine and relax during the evening.
- Balthazar is a cosy little wine bar found in the back lanes of Holt which also serves food.
- Cookie’s Crab Shop in coastal village of Salthouse is more than its name suggests. This is a must for anyone wanting to experience the authentic taste and take in the views of the north Norfolk coast in one go. The seafood platters are delicious and you can even watch the fishermen as they bring in the daily catch!
- The Dun Cow, close to Cookie’s Crab Shop, is a stylish and characterful pub serving delicious and locally sourced food.
- The King’s Head (Holt) is a fine local hostelry with a restaurant. The pub has two bars and the STEAK restaurant serving (as you probably guessed!) chargrilled steaks as a speciality.
- The King’s Head (Letheringsett) is another stylish restaurant and has a lovely big garden where the kids can run around.
- The Owl Café, which is only a few minutes’ walk from the campsite, is a quaint little tearoom serving homemade food throughout the day.
- Another lovely café is the Black Apollo with the best coffee in Holt!
- The Wiveton Café at Wiveton Hall is a great place to go for a delicious lunch and can be combined with a chance to pick your own strawberries for the jam-making workshop!
Things to do:
- BeWILDerwood is a unique and wonderful day out with Boggles and Twiggles roaming around in the woods! There is a giant tree top playground with activities and events during the summer.
- Pensthorpe Natural Park, home of the BBC’s Springwatch for a number of years, is an award-winning mix of meandering nature trails, beguiling woodland walks, and a showcase for British wildlife and nature conservation. It has a restaurant and shops too.
- Dinosaur Adventure has a life-size dinosaur trail, animal enclosures, deer park, animal petting area, adventure playground and massive indoor play barn with go-kart track.
- Davenport's Magic Kingdom is an attraction dedicated to magic and it a great rainy day alternative.
- You can head to the UK’s largest indoor model experience at the newly opened Wroxham Miniature Worlds. - If you fancy an indoor swim, the Pinewood Leisure Centre is close by or alternatively, you can go to Splash in Sheringham - swimming pool which has a large slide and wave machine!
- There are a number of delightful woodland walks close by including the National Trust properties of Sheringham Park, Felbrigg Hall and Blickling Hall (home of Anne Boleyn) or Holt Country Park which is within walking distance of the campsite just on the outskirts of Holt
- There are a wealth of beaches nearby as can be expected from north Norfolk. Sheringham beach is very family friendly and next to a quaint and traditional seaside town. West Runton (great for rockpooling), Cromer (great for crabbing off the pier) and Overstrand beaches are all closeby. Morston Quay offers boat trips for seal spotting (booking in advance is advised). Slightly further afield, the beaches of Holkham, Brancaster and Wells-next-the-Sea offer wide expansive beaches synonymous with the north Norfolk and have been voted some of the best beaches in the world according to our national press.
- Gressenhall Workhouse Museum is a truly unique museum. Visit its 50-acre site and discover the Museum of Life on the Land, a traditional farm with rare breed animals, beautiful, unspoilt grounds, and exciting adventure playground.
- Wroxham Barns has a restaurant, arts and crafts supply store, and an open farm.
- Norwich Castle Museum
- Norwich Cathedral
- Sainsbury Centre (a world-class art gallery)
- Strangers' Hall
- Elm Hill (medieval part of Norwich)
- Norwich market (one of the oldest markets in Europe)
- Norwich Lanes (alternative/independent shops)
- Cinema City (independent cinema)
- Mannington Gardens (6.2 miles)
- Felbrigg Hall, Garden and Park (7.1 miles)
- Shrine of our Lady of Walsingham (9.1 miles)
- Sheringham Park (3.8 miles)
- Blakeney National Nature Reserve (5.2 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.