Christmas and winter lodges, pods and ho ho ho
It's Chriiiiiiistmas! Well no, not quite yet. But sensible sorts are already making plans for spending the festive season away from home, having realised that deciding on a lodge holiday (or winter caravan break) is a tip-top idea in itself, but going the whole (roast) hog and doing it for Noël too is the icing on the (Christmas) cake.
For lodge holidays over winter as well as Christmas, we have plenty of parks, holiday parks and campsites open all year round, including plenty of sites with toasty wooden lodges - the very type of place to imagine Santa visiting. Yes, even/especially if you're 40.
Like all our listings, our lodge holiday and winter accommodation sites have loads of options re amenties on site and things to do nearby - use our 80+ filters to find your custom Christmas lodge holiday. Some top tips and suggested sites:
- Start with our all year lodge parks, then go to 'Filter by feature' on the left to tailor-make your lodge holiday. You can search by country here too - such as lodges and log cabins open all year in England, Scotland, Wales and even France, such as the two-bedroom lodge at Braidhaugh Holiday Park in Perthshire (£420 for a week for four people) or the three-bedroom lodge at Domaine des Monts du Mâconnais in Burgundy, from £95.60 a night sleeping up to eight.
- Filter by factors such as tourist board rating - like Grade 5 lodge parks open all year - or by groups the park is aimed at, such as family-friendly or where student groups are welcome, or by rules on site, such as parks which allow dogs: book (or take over) the three camping huts at Woodland Park in Shropshire with the dog over Christmas, and bring an extra turkey.
- With winter caravan sites, you can search specifically for open all year and static caravan parks, such as beaut Bowdens Crest Caravan & Camping Park in Somerset, which has availability in its two-bedroom holiday home for 24 - 27 December inclusive from £225. (Tourer owners can check out our guide to winter caravan storage for after the hols.)
- To make the eyes of naysayers boggle even more, use our 'lodge, cabin, pod or hut' search to find something a bit more on the unusual side, which in our humble opinion is pretty much the epitome of ‘cool alternative Christmas’. There'll be heat, there'll be light and there'll be excellent Facebook photos to annoy the naysayers with while they're sitting at home drawing weapons around the turkey.
- Look for a camping pod like at Yapham Holds Farmhouse Campsite in York, with insulated pods available over Christmas from £70 a night, and until 19 December with 20% off, from just £32 a night. Or have a gypsy caravan like the one at Brick Kiln Campsite in Suffolk, where Gloria the retro caravan is available for the three nights over Christmas from £255. Lush and luxury Loch Tay Highland Lodges in Perthshire has a pick of cabin and pod berths from £120 for the three nights over Christmas, starting at £120 with 50% off.
- Look for your Christmas lodge or caravan park according to theme - we have open all year lodge and log cabin sites with spectacular scenery, in a walkers' paradise, in a lake or mountain area, in a remote location or budget /backpacker.
- You can use as many filters as you want to narrow down your ideal Christmas or winter lodge holiday: Middlewick Farm at Glastonbury Tor, Somerset, has E-den camping cabins with snug double beds with crisp white bedding and private showers with fluffy towels; it's filtered as luxury, peaceful, with spectacular scenery and in a walkers' paradise. Middlewick Farm is open for pre-Christmas and New Year breaks (until 22 December 2013 and from 3 January 2014) from £110 for two nights.
- If you think you'll still have energy after the turkey dinner, turkey sandwiches and turkey ice cream, you can also search for a lodge or caravan park according to amenities and leisure on site - for example lodge parks with wifi, fishing or a play area - or by leisure nearby, such as lodge parks with golf, cycle hire or an indoor pool nearby (or an outdoor pool for the truly masochistic/turkey-insulated).
- Weren't able to get away over Christmas but are now about to lose it unless you do? We'll hastily point out the super swish twin and double pods at The Old Thorns Manor Hotel in Hampshire, which have flatscreen tellies with Freeview, heating and tea/coffee making facilities - and which are in the grounds of a hotel with spa, fitness suite and champagne bar. CHAMPAGNE BAR. Book a luxury post-hol break here from £198 between 27 and 29 December inclusive. It could just save your sanity.
- If you want to go properly under canvas for a spot of winter camping with your trusty tent at Christmas, choose from our campsite pitches in a host of settings all around the UK and Ireland, although you may want to concentrate on those that allow campfires on site. Brrrr. Or just book a lodge, cabin or caravan instead - it'll be much toastier, and there'll be many more places to hang the stocking. Merry Christmas!
Page updated November 2013.