Feather Down Farm Days (East Shilvinghampton)Favourite
If you are the owner of this site, upgrade today to add more detail to this page and start taking bookings through Pitchup.com.
Situated halfway along a valley, our farm enjoys stunning views of true Hardy Country, where both sea and sun are close at hand thanks to Weymouth having more sunny days than anywhere else in the UK.
The Farm and Surroundings
We are the Bartlett family: Martin, Joby and children Henry, Annabel and Georgina and we work in partnership with Martin's parents Tom and Sheila, running a beef suckler herd, raising young dairy cattle for a neighbouring farmer, and growing a variety of crops.
East Shilvinghampton is situated halfway along the south side of a valley that stretches from Portesham and Upwey, and enjoys stunning, far-reaching views along the valley in either direction.
The tents are arranged in the pasture near the farmyard, with our animal paddock and its residents just a toddle away. The hedges here yield abundant fruit in the autumn, including sloes, which the successful forager can take home to prepare a fine gin for Christmas!
The farm larder is well stocked with our own beef and pork and Joby’s home-made goodies, as well as lots of local produce, most of it sourced within a 20 mile radius, even beer, wine, coffee and tea!
The farm tour is always a great hit with our guests feeding pigs, goats and calves; Martin tries to answer every question you can think of about farming.
Pets are welcome at East Shilvinghampton as long as they're kept under close control.
At the farm there are plenty of animals to meet, including our beef suckler herd; chickens; Labradors Tess and Ora; pet goats Trit and Trot; Pit, Pat and Paddle the ducks; our son Henry's pigs; and Pippin and Dizzy, the ponies belonging to our two daughters Georgina and Annabel.
After all this socialising, tuck into a hearty feast of Joby's famed home cooking, including delicious meals using beef and pork from the farm. Puddings are her speciality, especially her meringue roulade!
Nearby attractions and activities
The very pretty village of Abbotsbury, with its craft shops and tearooms, is four miles from the farm and boasts subtropical gardens, a swannery, and a children's farm with soft play area. Dorchester is another highlight for many of our guests, being the historical county town of Dorset and a place that features heavily in the novels of Thomas Hardy, who was born just outside it.
The UNESCO World Heritage site of the Jurassic Coast is brilliant for fossil-hunting and you can easily get to impressive Chesil Beach, one of Britain's three major shingle structures. Portland, well known for Olympic sailing and windsurfing is also nearby.
Things to do in the area
• Weymouth is 5 miles away and has a long crescent shaped sandy beach which is great for kids and has a historic harbour, marina and nature reserve • Portland (linked to Weymouth via a causeway) is the location for the 2012 Olympic sailing • The Jurassic Coast ( UNESCO World Heritage site) where the beaches are well known for their fossils. • Chesil Beach, an 18 miles stretch of pebbled beach brought alive in Ian McEwan’s novel “On Chesil Beach.” • Portland castle which was Henry VIII’s stronghold • Dorchester is 7 miles away and is the historical County town of Dorset and features heavily in Thomas Hardy’s novels, as does much of the area around East Shilvinghampton farm. Hardy’s birthplace is just outside Dorchester. • There are many museums to keep you occupied: Dorset County Museum; Tutankhamen Museum; Dinosaur Museum and the Keep Military Museum • Abbotsbury is a very pretty village with thatched cottages, tea rooms and craft shops which is only 4 miles away. Abbotsbury is home to a swannery with 600 swans. From mid May to late June you may be able to see the cygnets hatching and also help feed them. Another claim to fame is that Abbotsbury was a film location for “Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.” • Subtropical gardens in Abbotsbury which were reported by Alan Titchmarsh to be “one of the finest gardens I have ever visited.” • Children’s farm in Abbotsbury with a soft play area. • Great walks around the whole area. • Bridport is a great market town just 10 miles away.
Attractions near Feather Down Farm Days (East Shilvinghampton)
- Abbotsbury Swannery (2.9 miles)
- Radipole Lake Nature Reserve (4.3 miles)
- Weymouth Sea Life Park and Marine Sanctuary (4.4 miles)
- Max Gate (6.1 miles)
- Hardy's Cottage (8.1 miles)
Find local routes on the National Cycle Network - over 12,000 miles of cycling routes.
Activities near Feather Down Farm Days (East Shilvinghampton)
Hardy Monument Circular (2.2 miles) Walking
Nottington - Chickerell (2.6 miles) Walking
Nottington - Upwey - Broadwey (2.6 miles) Walking
Alas, no reviews yet . But reviews are brilliant - they help thousands of other people to find the right holiday. Be bold, be the first to review this site. It only takes a minute.
Leisure on site
Bar or club house
Indoor swimming pool
Outdoor swimming pool
Amenities on site
Car parking by pitch
Ice pack freezing
Parent & baby washroom
Pick-up from public transport
Gas cylinders available
Touring and motorhomes
Electrical hook-up points for tourers
Commercial vehicles allowed
Indoor pool nearby
Single-sex groups welcome
Student groups welcome
Feather Down Farm
Ordnance Survey maps (GB and Northern Ireland only) are available at lower levels via the drop-down menu.
- Coach stations
Weymouth: Town Centre Coach Stops — 4.7mi
Dorchester: South Rail Station Coach Stop — 5.6mi
Bridport: Coach Park West Street — 11.4mi
- Train stations
Upwey Rail Station — 3.1mi
Weymouth Rail Station — 4.5mi
Dorchester West Rail Station — 5.5mi
- Ferry ports
Weymouth Ferry Terminal — 5.0mi
Poole Ferry Terminal — 24.0mi
Poole Quay Ferry Landing — 24.4mi
- Bournemouth International Airport — 31.9mi
Nearby sites that are bookable on Pitchup.com:
Higher Moor Farm
Weymouth, Dorset Show on map
|Non-electric grass pitch||5 x||From £11 per night|
|Electric grass pitch||5 x||From £14 per night|
Weymouth, Dorset Show on mapLast booked 13 hours ago
|Non-electric grass pitch||4 x||From £12 per night|